What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8" Scotch-brite wheel?

Paul B

I have a dual 8" bench grinder. I would like to replace one of the grinding wheels with an 8" Scotch-brite wheel but I'm not having any luck finding one. Any body have a source? Can I just put a 6" wheel here?

Oops

Spoke too soon. Looks like Avery has only the 6". Don't know any reason why that wouldn't work, though. Also, Bob might be able to get you an 8".

Just mount it on your drill press.

That's what I did and it worked better than using the bench grinder as you have more access to the wheel when on the drill press.

Bill, thanks for that last bit of advice. I was actually thinking I needed to use one of the faster speeds of my drill press, trying to replicate the very fast speed of my bench grinder. I will instead try the Scotch-brite at a slower speed.

Bill, thanks for that last bit of advice. I was actually thinking I needed to use one of the faster speeds of my drill press, trying to replicate the very fast speed of my bench grinder. I will instead try the Scotch-brite at a slower speed.

Another idea is to remove the cover from you bench grinder... since you're not afraid of it in the drill press... removing the cover should'nt be a problem for you.

I've removed mine... it's wayyyy better.

Just don't do as I did : put all your rudder and elevator stiffners at the 4-5 same spots... put them on at an angle..

DSC03484.JPG

I used the 6" wheel from Avery on my 8" polisher/grinder. Had to bore the hole to fit my arbor....

works fine....

Use-enco.com has 8 in. 3m discs. Try page 277. $75,00

Those are "real" deburring wheels. Machine shops around here refer to them as "rubber wheels"

The 3M 6in wheel sold by Avery Cleaveland and others is the CP-7AM... it's "Cut and Polish". read CUT... its more abbrasive... it can be used to shape pieces... the other cannot.

Having a real deburring wheel can be usefull, I think I'll buy one. That way, I won't "eat" to much of the angles.... just the burr!

If you want to shape pieces, the deburring wheel won't work really well but you can do that on the belt sander!

What do you use to dress the SB wheel. Mine has got a few groves in it that I would like to smooth out.

What do you use to dress the SB wheel. Mine has got a few groves in it that I would like to smooth out.

I simply run my parts across the wheel, rather than in the same direction. This keeps you from putting groves in it.

Thanks Bill, I did try that but seems chatter when doing it that way. I have some heavy duty AL scrap that I will try.

Back