What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

#8 Dimple Die

Tom Delaney

Well Known Member
I hate that my first question may border on embarrassing but here goes......is the required #8 dimple die the same as the 3/32 dimple die? One I have and the other I do not and you can guess which one I don't have!

I was planning on priming the vertical stabilizer components tomorrow and need to finish the dimpling. I dimpled a test piece with the 8/32 die and the #8 screw fit nicely but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

Tom

No question is too dumb. Especially for someone just starting out. Regarding the question, no. A #8 dimple die is the size for #8 screws, whereas the 3/32 dimples are for 3/32 or #40 rivets (much smaller). Good luck with your project! Be sure to post some pics once in a while.

Correction

Hi Bruce,

Now I am embarrassed. I meant to type 8/32 vice 3/32. To restate is a #8 dimple die the same as an 8/32 die?

I would think "yes". Although, I've never heard of an 8/32 die, I do have a #8 dimple die and it seems logical that they are going to be the same. May I suggest you drill and dimple a piece of scrap and check it with an appropiate screw?

Good luck.

I had the same problem at first with my Avery tool set, no dimple die as called for in the plans! I then noticed the one labeled #8 worked perfectly for the job.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have the rivettools.com die set which contains a 6/32 and 8/32 dimple die. I just got off the phone with the owner of rivettools and he said the 8/32 die is equivalent to a #8 die.

When I made up a test piece the screw sit nice and flush so I thought I was ok but I wanted to understand the nomenclature.

On to priming!

Tom

yes the 8 is the screw size and the 32 are the threads. It isn't 8/32 but rather 8-32 subtle but significant. #8 die is for an #8 screw

Back