What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A wing bolts

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Not much longer now, and I'll have to install all the close tolerance bolts on the wing spar-to-center section.

I know that it's important to NOT drive them too far in, so you can get the washers/nuts on them and tighten them down...but what's community's suggestions for order of installation? Outside to in, bottom to top? Etc.

Much thanks in advance for any tips, tricks or "gotchas" on this task...

Steve

Steve,

The sequence I used is the small ones first then the big ones.

The problem on the A is the gear weldment on the bottom inside.
you can only drive the bolt in till 1 thread is showing and then
try to get the nut on. You can only get one turn and it will take
a while.

Good note: Do all the easy ones and have a good buddy do
these 2 or 4 bolts why you supervise like the city crew.:D

Hope it helps.

The wrench that worked best for me on that pair of nuts was a "right angle" open end. It has the opening turned in plane but 90 deg from regular wrench. I don't see these often in tool stores but they have been really handy.

Start with the one that lines up first.
lightly oil the bolts.
Use an air ratchet to spin in the bolts. This works great. I do not like banging on the bolts.
If I had to do this all over again and I did not have an air ratchet, I would go buy one. It worked that good.

I just did mine, and following some advice here this is what I ended up doing:

* Rubbed some biolube on the bolts (not the threads)
* Installed the top two big bolts first, used a rivet gun to tap them in - easy
* Tightened the nuts, and torqued them.
* Installed the outermost big bolt, stop tapping when some threads are showing to get the nut on. Getting the nut on this one is the hardest. Remember to put the washer on the head side rather than the nut side.
* Used a standard open ended wrench to tighten the nut, but had to grind down one side a bit to get it to fit under the gear weldment.
* Have to tighten on the bolt head, used a hydraulic ratchet which worked OK but not great.
* Torque it, can't get to the nut very easy once the second bottom bolt is installed.
* Install innermost big bolt same as the other, easier than the outer, as you have better access for the nut. Torque it.
* Install the smaller bolts. Torque.
* Install the two middle bolts that go into the plate nuts.

Remember:
If a bolt stops going in with some moderate tapping with the rivet gun, the holes are not aligned. Adjust the wing up or down to find the right position to get the bottom bolts in.
Don't forget the lube or you won't be able to turn the bottom bolts to tighten the nuts (don't ask how I know).

Last edited:
Install trial fit bolts first..

You should install your big temporary trial fit bolts first and then back one out at a time and replace with the CT bolts. This insures the best alignment in each hole and least misfit error. I would leave out the lower trial fit bolt behind the gear leg weldment just because it's harder to get out. Three on each side is enough.

Keep in mind the simple things like if you don't support the wing properly, the first bolt in becomes a pivot point and the wings becomes a 10 foot fulcrum. Having someone on the end to unload the pressure makes the second bolt easier. That's also why having the trial bolts in helps.

Use a cotton swab and coat the inside of the holes with something like plug anti-seize as well as the bolt as it scraps off the bolt immediately.

Use a block of hardwood between the bolt head and the rivet gun. Double triple check Correct washers before you drive any bolt. Plan on doing it only once! (doing it again I would try the air ratchet first then the air gun)

Then do as indicated in the above posts. I think these things are more important than freezing the bolts but belt and suspenders is always good.

Like many other jobs... It sounds worse than it is :)

Just another .02

Last edited:
... "gotchas" on this task...

Before starting, use a couple of hardware store bolts to confirm that everything lines up. It wouldn't be unheard of for the holes in the gear weldment to be a little off and needing some work.

Dan

Back