What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A Slider Windshield fitting?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
It's not real clear on the plans where to cut the windshield at the bottom of the rollbar. As best I can tell, it should be cut just above where the Forward Top skin overlaps the rollback. Is that right?

I'm just about to this point. No, from what I've seen on other airplanes, the windshield extends down over the rear/bottom edges of the forward top skin. But I haven' done this yet...but soon, I hope.

On the -6, there was a detail that covered this in the canopy drawings.

The windscreen rests on top of the forward skin across the front, but there is a vertical slot cut in the skin along each side which creates a tab towards the aft end of the front top skin. The windscreen is slid down into the slot, and the tab covers the aft bottom edge of the windscreen on both sides.

I'm sure there is a better way to explain this, but if it isn't clear, look at the plans again and again and you'll find it.

So that explains this picture.

Kyle, I saw this picture on Mike Schipper's RV9 website, which sounds exactly like what you explained. The picture didn't make sense until after I read your post. This detail is not on the RV-7 slider plans. Thanks.

windscreen9vy4.jpg

Vans says no overlap

I'll answer my own question (with a little help from Vans tech support). I checked with them this morning and Kyle's answer is the way it was done on the 6, but it changed on the 7 & 9. The recommendation is NOT to overlap the skin and windshield at the rollbar. Cut the windshield to butt up to the skin and use the rollbar/windshield fairing to cover the transistion.

Back