What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A QB, what's the AA6x2x2.5 angle for?

Rick_A

Well Known Member
My 7A QB parts box is getting pretty empty, but I've got a large piece of angle that I haven't touched and that I can't find in the plans. It's AA6-187 2x2.5x12. Anybody know what this is used for?

Angle

Sounds like the material needed to fabricate the forward spar to fuselage
attachment bracket.

AL Smith
RV 6 B 495AB
FF
KEOS

Angle

Builders,

I have two angles that puzzle me a little. I have a 7A QB w/tip up, but haven't fully assembled the tip up - only clecoed the frame to the skin and finished the hinges and quick release forward of the instrument panel. Wings are installed and fully rigged (ailerons, sweep set to 0, incidence set, wing-to-fuselage fairing, etc.), so the pieces don't go in that area, I HOPE! :eek:

The firewall and engine mount angles came installed with the QB.

Both angles are labeled AA6-187x2x2 1/2x12. I used about 3" of one angle for the roll bar attachment assembly as suggested in a previous post, but the rest of the material is still a puzzle. :confused:

Any suggestions for their use? I was going to "wait and see" where they might be used, but as long as the topic is up, I'll chim in.

Thanks for your advise in advance,

Don Gray
Cortland, OH N17QB

T-405 Tank Attach Angle (and maybe something peculiar to a tipper - I know not). You'll want a bandsaw after this one.

John Siebold

This is for slider

I have a Slider. It's sounds like it may be the forwards spar to fuselage attach bracket. I haven't done any wing to fuse attach work, so that makes sense.

sounds like this will end up being leftover angle :) As John mentioned, T-405 is another place where it's used, but if you have QB wings, then it should already be on the tank..

What's this "forward spar to fuselage attach" we're referring to? I dont' know of any angle being used to attach forward spars to fuselage.. (at least not on -7(A))

Still looking

T-405 is made from this size angle, but as was just noted in the prior post, it's already on the QB wing. I looked at the plans again and could not find anything else in the wing attach area that uses this size angle. If it is extra, I'm surprised that Van's would include this as a paper weight. So far, it's been useful for keeping the prints in place when my garage door is open.

Parts

You have to fab the parts below on the standard kits out of this size material:
Subtract what's already made and you should have your answer.

F601J
F631C
F705G-L
F705G-R

This material is labeled AA6-188 x 2 x 2 1/2 in DWG 39

No one has mentioned that this material is labeled AA6-188 x 2 x 2 1/2 in DWG 39, which is a little confusing. There is no other material in either of my boxes that even comes close in size so I guess it's a typo in DWG 39? Maybe some of the extra material is used for the emp. attach? I'm not quite there yet so I don't know

RV-7 QB
Fuse/cabin Frame
http://www.n212s.com
(Reserved)

Last edited:
Data base

Some of the posts here refer to Kits other than a RV7A QB Tip-up and may therefore be confusing.

I have a RV7 (Not an RV7A) QB Tip-up.
Using a data base I obtained (Who wants a copy) from the internet, I sorted of ALL the components fabricated from AA6-187x2x2 1/2x12 and came up with the following,

Qty. P/N Description Kit Sub Kit
2 T-405 None Wing Loose part
1 Al angle Wing 8 tank components-1
1 Al angle Fuselage 18

Item 1. On my QB the T-405 was already fitted.
Item 2. Qb Tank Components are pre-built, as Rick said.
Item 3. I have no idea where it might be used on the fuse. I certainly do not remember using it.

Indeed, I and others I know, had quite a bit of material left over and I seem to remember 'stealing' that piece of AA6-187x2x2 1/2x12 for my custom throttle quadrant. See pic below. Looks like 0.187" to me.
In general, you need to accept that you won't find a need for all the bits sent to you, and somehow assure yourself that you didn't leave anything significant out.

Pete.

throttlesdetailbj2.jpg

On the fuse, it is used in 2 places that I am aware of.

1) The F-705-G (the seat back bulkhead, to latch the tip up)
2) The Firewall to Floor stiffener attach points.

Both of these are already done on the QB.

Sooooo, I have some answers, but not the initial one.

Not sure where you will need that angle.

:confused: CJ

I just got my QB kit in Jan. I wondered what those angles were for too while I was inventorying. I thought they looked a lot like wheel chocks. That's what I plan on using them more if their leftover when I'm done!

Vince
QB RV-7

I have found this RV7 parts list spreadsheet to be very valuable. This is in the files section of the RV7 yahoo group or here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?zawmmi4lubs

Brad Oliver put me onto it! Thanks Brad!

F-601J FIREWALL ANGLE 2 19 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 FUSE-ALL
F-631C ANGLE 2 39,40 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 FUSE-T
F-705G-L ANGLE 1 20,40 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 FUSE-T
F-705G-R ANGLE 1 20 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 FUSE-T
T-405-L BRACKET 1 9,16A,38 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 WING
T-405-R BRACKET 1 MATERIAL AA6-187X2X2 1/2 WING

Back