What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A maingear legs on 6A

recapen

Well Known Member
Noticing that the 6A sits pointed kinda nose-high.....also, mine seems to try to take off before it is really ready. Maybe because I'm putting backpressure on the stick to keep weight off the nose.

The 7A sits straighter - I'm thinking because it has longer maingear legs. Has anyone considered 7A maingear legs on their 6A? My reasoning here would be less backpressure to lighten the nose and it wouldn't be rotated enough to try to fly early.

Ralph Capen

Last edited:
I start the roll with full back stick.............then push forward as speed builds, allowing the nose wheel to slightly rise off the runway. The first time I had weight on the right side, my 6A was airborne before I wanted it, too. By managing the stick pressure, I'll keep it slightly nose high, but not fly off.

Personally, I prefer the shorter legs for looks, and possibly less chance of the "flips". I'd never want to switch.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Managing the stick pressure - I like the sound of your technique. I will try it. I really like the hopefully lessened potential of tipovers with the shorter mains.

Thanks!

It's not so much of a push after the nose is off the pavement for me, more like a release of *some* back pressure on the stick.

I start my takeoff roll with full back pressure. As speed increases and I sense the nose wheel about to lift off, I prepare to ease out some of that stick back pressure. Once the nose wheel is off, I hold back pressure just enough to establish the same sight picture over the nose that I have at touchdown. At that attitude, the airplane lifts off smooth as silk.

I would not go with 7A legs on a 6A either. As stated before, should proper landing technique not be employed, you further your chances of a possible a** over teakettle landing.

Last edited:
Vans response

Here?s what Van?s responded with:

It won't work - the 7A gear legs are larger diameter and won't fit. Try trimming more nose down prior to takeoff so the force to pull the nose up is higher, that will give a better feel than if it is neutral with little force required.

Vans

My 6A...... O320 and fixed pitch, will use the same trim position as was used during landing.

The stick is full back at start of taxi and is relaxed only when the nose wheel lifts off. I also keep the nose wheel just inches off the runway and the plane will fly off when it is ready. When the plane lifts off, add fwd pressure on the stick and let the plane fly in ground effect till you have the climb speed that you want....... it won't take long!

Back