What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A Gear Mounts

N1Flyer

To ensure the proper location of the forward tube on the gear mounts, can they be matched drilled into the fuselage without mounting the wings? Thanks in advance.

Your post isn't clear

Please explain in a little more detail, your post isn't clear.

Paul

To ensure the proper location of the forward tube on the gear mounts, can they be matched drilled into the fuselage without mounting the wings? Thanks in advance.

My answer is no. Until the wings bolts have been set to proper torque, and remember there is a spacer washer in I think one location... the forward tube bolts should not be drilled. You're going to suck the gear mount back snug and your holes will not line up and will end up egg shaped.

7A Gear Mount

Please explain in a little more detail, your post isn't clear.

Paul
I'll give it a shot. The main gear mount has a tube that extends from the middle of the mount, forward until it contacts the fuselage. The mount comes predrilled and the idea is to fasten the mount to the spar, drill the 5 holes along the fuselage bottom, and then match drill that forward tube to the fuselage. The instructions do not say to mount the wing, but... the tube is somewhat flexible and it seems that it can move with respect to the fuselage. So, is it best to mount the wing and let the tube seek a 'normal' position, or is it not an issue and is it okay to match drill the tube without the wing attached? I hope that helps define the question a little better.

Hi N1flyer,

If I understand your question correctly, this is the arm that has 2 holes pre-drilled into it, that you have to drill to the fuse side walls.
If you have a look here
http://cabaeroclub.org.au/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1233033360/30#30
you can see how I did it. Note that these are #10 screws that will need to be counter sunk.
You will only be able to get to one hole to match drill, so I put parallel lines on the side fuse to help get the second hole marked ready to drill.
This is done before the wing is put on, that is the next step in the manual.
page 8-14

Thanks for the information

Hey, Jamie,

Thanks for the information and especially the link to your website. Great pictures! Your project looks like it's coming along nicely.

7A gear leg match drilling

I did mine before the wing was on per the plans. No apparent problems. Frankly I didn't think about the wing bolts moving the mount when tightened.

Flys straight and fast. 170kts+ at 17.5 and 2400rpm WOT...:)

I agree with Jamie, you will not need to have the wing on to do this part. There are only to things to note for this portion of the project, one is that as Jamie mentioned you will be able to match drill only one hole, the second thing is that if the arm does not seat right to the fuse skin, you will need to create a small shim to fill the gape. For mine, one side was perfect and one side I had to put a .025 piece of close the gap.

Good luck
Mehrdad

When I did mine, I just used the forward part of the spar. I got some bolts that were shorter then the real wing bolts and snugged up the gear mount to just the forward spar section.

Back