What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7a Elevator Spar Crack - Follow up Trim Failure

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
So, since Mark posted the thread on the elevator spar crack on his 7a, the MidSouthRV group has been re-inspecting our magic carpets and we found some of the loose jam nuts others noted but we also found this. The implications seemed worthy of consideration since flutter seems to be a concern these days.

When pulling and pushing on the elevators, we checked the trim tab for movement, not much initially but it felt funny. When we applied a little more pressure, it jumped about two inches which was pretty shocking. We found that the bracket holding the manual trim cable had come apart but the nut seems to jam in the trim plate and sort of holds it in place.....sort of.

As soon as you apply reasonable pressure, (more than a little but not a lot) it would move a couple of inches in both directions. When the nut breaks loose, there is nothing really holding the cable in place which lets the whole trim tab move as the cable moves inside the elevator.

This was on a RV8 with manual trim. Not sure this is SOP but it is the way it was. The only thing holding the manual cable in was the cable nut which had been spot welded to a small steel plate which rivets to the attachment plate. Why this isn't a piece of solid 90 degree stock or a formed attachment with a nut on both sides might be open to question.

Not trying to debate the design but the pictures show what happened and it probably is worth checking as a trim tab flopping in the wind probably isn't what we want. This is the nut (the only one) that was welded to the inspection/attachment plate.

img_2013_09_28_192745_01-52652834.jpg

This was the plate clearly showing the weld break and there was no weld buildup apparent on either surface.

img_2013_09_28_192813_01-7896558.jpg

Our buddy flies solo most of the time and uses virtually no trim. No idea how long it had been that way but we are sure it happened since the last condition inspection.

We think it's worth checking out if you have a manual trim system with this attachment method.

Edited 9/30/13 This is covered by SB 06-9-20 on the Vans site http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb06-9-20.pdf

Last edited:
Bill, I can't tell from the photos but it looks like the same trim tab adjustment I have on my -6. There was an Service Bulletin issued by Van's about modifying my original issue part that was tack welded on only one side. The SB required complete welding of both side of the nut to the attach plate, IIRC.

Last edited:
Correct

I believe Gary is right. On my -10, the weld is on both sides of the nut. In addition, someone was manufacturing a solid, machined block as a replacement part. Might have been iflyrv10.com but I can't confirm on my mobile device.

SB 06-9-20

As I was finishing up my RV-6 in 2007 I changed the trim nut anchor to the new style as spelled out in vans service bulletin SB 06-9-20.

http://www.vansaircraft.com/pdf/sb06-9-20.pdf

It states "Affected WD-415?s are identified by either no aft weld (single weld across the front of the nut) or one long weld across the front of the nut and a small tack weld on the aft side of the nut"

AHA ! Those SBs really do need to be checked!

Really goes to show you how carefully the SBs need to be checked. There wasn't any evidence of a double weld and no indication the SB had been checked. Thanks for pointing that out!

Bill

Back when I was building that SB came out and I ordered a pair of these milled aluminum trim cable anchors from Rivethead-Aero. They came in pairs because the RV-10 needed two. (The spare was given to Radomir for his RV-7A.)

Unfortunately, Rivethead-Aero seems to be out of business. Maybe someone else is producing these.

(Click to enlarge)

Where is this bracket?

Where is this bracket? Or perhaps a more pertinent question, when in the build would a builder get to this? If my aircraft was started before the sb, but finished afterwards, would I likely be affected?

Yes, you would.

The bracket is part of the manual trim system on the left elevator, so it would be included in the empennage kit.

If you're using the electric trim, then I don't think this part is used.

Dave

Back