What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7A # 73340 arrived!

rwshooter

Well Known Member
Got my emp kit a couple of days ago and have been playing around with the practice items I ordered with it.......dont have my tools yet, so i'm using what I have to get a feel for it all......one question I have is how the heck do ya manage all these chips from drilling, deburring etc? they go everywhere and can scratch up your project in a hurry if not careful....Hope this isnt a stupid question....Robb

Welcome!

Robb,
Congratulations on getting started. You are in for a treat. These forums will be unbelievably useful and fun (thanks, Doug).
As for the chips, I use an air gun on the compressor hose (very carefully) and a small soft nylon brush. And a Shop Vac! Still a few small scratches, but I primed the interior (because the entire plane will disappear into a pile of corrosion if you don't) and will paint the exterior.
And no, it isn't a stupid question. You should see some that I have asked over the years.
It amazes me that some people build in their houses. My wife would have a fit, and she is very understanding of my "condition".
Have FUN!

Hey Ward

I'll definately pick up a shop vac so I wont keep blowing all the chips out in the driveway....after playing around with the practice kits, while waiting on my tools, I believe I have the "condition" also.....this is gonna be alota fun!
Robb

New project

rwshooter, congrates! Chips and filings with sweep right up or even vacuum up. Not a big deal unless your building in your livingroom which of course happens often. :)The adventure begins!

:Dcongrats, Wow already on 73340. I,m 73050 recieved q/b Nov 07 Tail done ,wings finished fuse working on. waiting on more $$$ from heaven.

Congrats, Man!
Lots and lots of fun, and also lots and lots of serioud work and learning. They didn't say "recreation and education" for nothing!
Mike Raviv #70434
4X-ORV (res)
finishing fuselage.

One thing you will want to do is leave the blue plastic film on the aluminum as long as possible. Atleast on the skins anyways. I took it off everything I primed right a way but it helps enormously to leave it on the outside skins. Took mine off the empenage early and didn't look half as nice as the wings where I waited until the end to remove it. Take a small sodering gun and a nice metal ruler and melt the plastic off in strips where the rivets go. This saves all those filings from scratching up the shiny aluminum. Have fun and remember, there is no stupid question.

Hey ditch

I polished the tip on my soldering iron and made a few passes over the vinyl....works pretty well......going this route for sure....all the scratches in the practice items, though not deep, scared the daylights out of me!....guess i'm just being overly cautious as a newby........now, what about all this primer stuff I've been reading....Hard to make heads or tails out of any of it!......Robb

Amazing

My kit # 71269 arrived exactly 5 yrs ago. That means that over 2000 RV7x kits have been delivered since then. With 1305 work days in those 5 yrs (at most) it's darn close to them delivering 2 RV7 kits per day! Add in those other models and they must really be cranking them out. The hobbs meter says 5600 are flying - this number has to be increasing exponentially.

Hey ditch

I polished the tip on my soldering iron and made a few passes over the vinyl....works pretty well......going this route for sure....all the scratches in the practice items, though not deep, scared the daylights out of me!....guess i'm just being overly cautious as a newby........now, what about all this primer stuff I've been reading....Hard to make heads or tails out of any of it!......Robb
Well the primer part of the question is a whole different ball game. I made the mistake of trying to get some info on it and wether you should even prime at all. Lets just say everyone has a different opinion on it and it can drive you nuts trying to figure out what you should do. Here's what I did. Bought a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freights. It actually primed fairly well and not much waste. Bought some Omni epoxy primer ($35 or so a gallon) and shot all the interior parts including the inside skins. I like the priming step for the simple fact that all those shiny part that have all the protective film, you can scratch and scuff all you want because you're going to prime it anyway. The prep work for this primer was super easy. I first started with alumi-prep baths but after smelling that stuff for a while I just used Dawn dish soap, scrubbed the parts good and shot them. Worked very well and less toxic. I used about 1/2 gallon of primer and 1/4 gallon hardener. 2 to 1 mix, for the wings. Some use rattle cans, some don't prime at all. Choice is yours but I didn't prime my tail and I'm probably going to redo the tail and prime when I'm done with the rest of the fuselage. Don't want to have everything primed except the tail. Anyway, personal choice but I think most here prime. Good luck.

Back