What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

770-772-704H rivet question

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Fuselage is now all back together (cleco'd) and getting ready to rivet...wooohooo. One quick question. I did the step of "pre-riveting" the 704H doublers to the skins per the instructions (the rivets around the cut-out for the main spar), and now that everything is together, we can't figure out just how on earth you rivet that last 470 rivet (bottom-most, forward one around the cutout) that joins the side skin, bottom skin, 704H and the center section. We can't see any way to get a bucking bar or no-hole squeezer or anything in there.

Suggestions appreciated...thanks!

Steve

On the 9 the lowest rivet just forward of the spar cutout is a blind rivet. Maybe the same on the 7?

I finished my fuse a year ago and I believe there is something in the instructions about blind rivets in that area. If there is nothing written, CherryMax of proper grip is the answer.

Edit: Andy was couple seconds faster to respond :)

We thought of that, too, but I don't think there's even enough room to get one in to pull it...and the plans call out specifically an AN470 4-6.

Might have to go with a bolt and nut...I'd rather rivet it, though.

I had the same issue - not being able to push the rivet all the way in. I had to squeeze it just a bit, push it in a bit, squeeze some more, and so on.

I just ran out to the shop and checked. It's an LP4-3 on the 9, and goes through the side skin, floor skin, and doubler.

I did this today!

I worked a LP4-3 the same as Lionclaw... keep pressure on the rivet and give a little pull and push and it came out fine.

Me too!

I scratched my head on this one for a few days, but ended up putting some MSP-43 rivets in those holes.

Mine are done, but if anyone has figured out how to put solids in here I am curious to know how you did it.

Actually put a solid rivet in the aft one per the instructions, since nothing else goes there (which raises yet another question...why is the callout for *that* location a -6, when it is the same material stackup as the other 5 on the aft side?).

I guess I'm a bit of a purist, but I like to put solid rivets where solids are called out (and I dislike non-full-strength rivets anywhere that a full-strength one is called for). On my neighbor's RV-8, I don't think we had more than a handful of places where we couldn't get a solid rivet set *somehow*.

my plans call for LP4-3...

my plans (RV-7) call for LP4-3...

picture3hxi.png

picture4xtp.png

Well, I'll be %$@*&*! You are 100% right! That's what I get for not noticing that it's a *6* pointed star and not an *8* pointed one... :)

Excellent catch, and a nice lesson for the future on reading those plans tacked up on the walls!

Thanks much!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used an AN470...

...by making this the first rivet installed on the forward bottom skin. These rivets went in on both sides before I slipped the forward half of the F-704 bulkhead in place:

20090523-03-tn.jpg

Oh, and if you happen to notice that one dimpled hole in the bottom right of this image...it's because I installed a few flush rivets around the aileron pushrod holes to allow for my aileron boot rings to lay down flush on the side skin:

20090514-02-tn.jpg

Good luck!

Back