What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

705 Bulkhead, flap weldment interference

jlfernan

Well Known Member
Just installed the flap actuator weldment to my 9. There is very little clearence between the weldment and the 705 bulkhead. They don't touch, but are very close. I'm wondering if other people have their's this close and did they leave it or grind out some clearence?

Last edited:
Also, check the UHMW blocks holding the torque tubes. I believe those things are not symmetrical, hence if you turn them around 180 degrees you may gain more clearance. Mine are close to the 705 but they aren't quite that close.

Jorge:

I did the same thing and decided to grind the flange of the 705 upright to provide clearance for the flap arm. I dicovered when all done that I must have somehow installed the bearing blocks backwards. I noticed the error when I trid to install the center block. I cut the bottom notch per the plan and discovered it seemed to be on the wrong end. I recut the notch and installed. On later reflection, I realized I must have the blocks in backwards. I asked Van's about this, both the backwards blocks and the trimmed web, and Bruce said no problem at all.

My advice, trim only the minimum necessary to clear the flap arm.

I tried to post a picture but image shack doesn't seem to be working.

Jekyll

Back