What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

704 bulkhead bottom flange question

KitfoxJoe

hello all
I am starting to get ready to assemble the center fuse. The bottom flange on the 704 bulkhead is quite thick. Does this flange get countersunk?(where it will be riveted to the bottom skin) Looks to thick to dimple. Also does the same apply to the 704c flange/704d flange (where it will be riveted to the side plate 704h and side skin? I can not same to find any reference to this in the plans or manual. Thanks Joe

Hey Joe
The 704 bulkhead flange gets dimpled. The 704h get countersunk to accept the side skin. Do nothing with the 704d&c. Keep in mind the lower half of the 704h gets 470 rivets in a number of places. Refer to your plans.
Hope this helps ya.

Yep, refer to plans

Drawing 28???, the skins drawing. If you are building an -A model, some rivets need to be double flush. I think the five foward outboard on each side. I am not near my drawings right now, goofing off @ work ;;)

Drawing 28???, the skins drawing. If you are building an -A model, some rivets need to be double flush. I think the five foward outboard on each side. I am not near my drawings right now, goofing off @ work ;;)

also the four spots where the floor stiffners go for the A model. at work also but this is training right?

This one is actually on the "most frequently asked questions" list from Van's:

You have two options. One is to dimple all three surfaces. The builder
will find the F-704 a bit thick to take a good dimple so if the dimple is found
insufficient, lightly machine countersinking the initial dimple will improve the fit
(nesting) of the dimples of the F-776/F-772 skins. The second method is simply
to continue the process used for the four floor stiffener locations. Thus machine
countersink the combination of the F-776 skin and F-704 spar flange sufficiently
to accept the dimple of the F-772. This will work fine.

Back