What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

702 Skin (T/U)

shiney

Well Known Member
I'm at the stage where I'm happy with the fitting of the canopy frame, the front edge of the C-702 skin is nicely aligned and gapped along the edge to the forward skin (after multiple attempts to get it right) so I'm getting nearer to the big cut!

My question relates to the 702 skin after the cut. Before the canopy is glassed and fixed permanently in position , what have builders done with the 702 skin? is this the time to paint it or to upholster it or is that done later?

Would like some tips here and if poss some pics of how you have finished this.

Shiney :)

I painted mine before installing the canopy for good...

6-28-08-006w.jpg

6-29-08-003w.jpg

6-29-08-004w.jpg

I think it would pretty difficult to paint afterward, but if you're going to use a cover of some sort, it may be better wait to get the fit correct with the canopy glass in place.

Thanks for the tips Dennis, just a question on you glueing the canopy, why did you off-set the side rails? I'm also thinking about sikaflexing the canopy but your pics are the first time I have seen an off-set.

Shiney

Room for glue

Thanks for the tips Dennis, just a question on you glueing the canopy, why did you off-set the side rails? I'm also thinking about sikaflexing the canopy but your pics are the first time I have seen an off-set.
Shiney
The offset provides a gap between the frame and the plexi for the Sikaflex. I also cut down the aft frame, in both width and height, to allow for a 1/4" gap.

Back