What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7 tail-Jig inquiry

Realizing that this is probably another one of those "well worked" discussions - appreciate opinions on building a jig for a tail. Seems like there are 2 schools of thought.

Thanks

Chris

QB RV-7A - just about ready to start

A nice, flat table is the best thing to have. Surface it with MDF (?) board for drilling and clecoeing parts to it, and you're good to go. Mine came out perfectly straight without any jig.

Roberta

that's basically true.. the most you'd want the jig for is an extra pair of hands, but I suspect it would get in the way more often than not.

Not jig related, but brake

Flat table should be fine for the prepunched stuff.

However, since you are nearing the elevator step, I would go a bit further than the plans in regards to the home made brake for bending the elevator skins. I used a pair of very straight 2 x boards and hinges per directions. I was not at all happy with the elevators. They each have a slight bow in the trailing edge. My local RV'ers say "build on" but this bugs the heck out of me.

Anyway, when doing the ailerons, I got a pair of dead straight shelving boards and a 6 foot piano hinge form the aviation section of Home Depot. It works a lot better at making straight bends.

I swear, if my elevators don't rig up perfect, I'll order a new set and do them again over a weekend.

Back