What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 QB and F705

GregClawson

I'm New Here
I'm building a -7QB and am having trouble figuring out how to set the 470 4-5 rivets in the upper right and left corners. The one rivet in the uppermost/outermost position (L and R) is impossible to get to with a bucking bar. Can I pull a rivet there, and if so which type meets design strength requirements.

Van's Tech support reply

GregClawson said:
I'm building a -7QB and am having trouble figuring out how to set the 470 4-5 rivets in the upper right and left corners. The one rivet in the uppermost/outermost position (L and R) is impossible to get to with a bucking bar. Can I pull a rivet there, and if so which type meets design strength requirements.

Hi Greg,

This is exactly the Q I sent to Van's Tech support over the weekend and the reply from Gus was :-

"We've been able to buck these rivets. You can trim away some of
the "return flange" on the F-721 to get a bucking bar in there. A
couple blind rivets are acceptable, but we've never come up with an
engineering spec for them. A structural pop rivet of sufficient length."

Which now begs the Q which pop rivet have others used that meets Van's statement ?
Maybe someone else out there can enlighten both of us !

Perhaps Martin can reply....

Last edited:
When in doubt, use a structural pop rivet. Van's sells the following (from 'the list'):

Flush Head 1/8" -
RIVET CR3212-4-2 CHERRY RIVET FLUSH $0.80
RIVET CR3212-4-3 CHERRY RIVET FLUSH $0.80
RIVET CR3212-4-6 CHERRY RIVET FLUSH $1.10

Round Head 1/8"-
RIVET CR3213-4-2 CHERRY RIVET ROUND $0.76
RIVET CR3213-4-3 CHERRY RIVET ROUND $0.76

The grip lenght is in 1/16" increments. A -2 is a grip length of 1/16"-1/8". These are not cheap, but worth the piece of mind in some misc. places.

flydjd said:
Hi Greg,

Perhaps Martin can reply....

Sorry, I don't remember what kind of pop rivet I used, other than that it came with the kit and was not flush.

Back