What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 Flight planning numbers

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Now that I am out of the test phase I have started to think about longer cross country flights, I have the Voyager flight planning software which works well even on my netbook but I wondered what numbers ( climb out, cruise speeds, descent, fuel burn etc) are typically used for the 7 for flight planning purposes. I have 0-360 FP and would assume economy cruise 65% power in the cruise phase of the flight.
Appreciate any inputs
Thanks

Dave, it's best to work out these numbers by yourself.. I've seen/heard such a wide range that those numbers become "less than helpful"..... anywhere from 150kts @ 10 gal to some much, much better numbers..

It doesn't mean those are not "true" numbers.. but rather shows the difference in how folks fly/operate their planes... Question is -- where do you fall in that? You don't need to take a long XC to find these numbers.. (assuming good and accurate instrumentation)..

Here are some real world numbers gained on a trip from Texas to Alaska and back as well as trip from Texas to San Juan Islands.

RV7A, IO-360-M1B, Precision fuel injection, dual P-Mags:

Block to block fuel burn @160 kts at 9500 feet is 8gph. (6.4gph for cruise portion only). At 170 kts I see 8.8 block to block, 7.5gph in cruise. At 12,500 the numbers are about .4 gph less. Typical leg length 2 1/2 to 3hrs. During the cruise portion the mixture is set LOP, during climb I set it for 1300F EGT max or 380 CHT which ever occurs first.

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV,s since 1988

Back