What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 baggage question

JPalese

Well Known Member
Has anyone ever put a tube into the rear fuselage through the baggage area bulkhead so skis, fishing poles or my trusty 12 gauge can fit?

Extended baggage mod

I look forward to the mechanical engineer responses on this. I have often thought of doing an extended baggage tube mod for my -7. Fishing poles would be ok, although heavier items will drag your CG back, quickly.

Remember:
15 lbs on the nose is equal to approximately only 1 lb at the tail.

It will be interesting to see what others have thought of on this mod.

Sure seems like I've seen someone do this. :confused: Also think someone constructed a fiberglass belly pod on a -10.

Last edited:
It works

I built a box from the baggage bulkhead to the tail bulkhead. The box is framed with aluminum with the bottom and sides made from Coroplast. The entire weight of the box is 36 ounces. I hinged the upper baggage panel and secured it with Skybolt fasteners for easy access.

I use it to haul my RC sailplanes to contests or to stuff light weight things like my pillow for Oshkosh. I try to not to exceed putting more than 3 lbs back there but have had more. No affects on performance and did not notice any undesirable handling.

On my new 7 I thought about molding a lightweight fiberglass tube but decided to simplify and focus on other details.

Back