What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7-A Rudder Counterbalance Skin

Captain Sacto

Well Known Member
Question for the learned ones on RV7s or 9s.

Does the rudder counterbalance skin (913) lay over the rudder skins (R901 R&L), or are the rudder skins riveted to the rudder counterbalance skin?

As I read the drawing 7, the rudder skins are exterior to the thicker counterbalance skins.

One of 3 callouts on the drawings seems to confirm this.

However the other 2 callouts call for 913 riveted to R901.

It would appear more logical to have the thicker counterbalance skin exterior, as the paper-thin rudder skin isn't contorted, and the edge ends facing aft.

(If it's optional, I'll do it CB skin outside, rudder skin inside.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Tom in Sacramento

The skins go on the outside of the CB skins. The thicker CB skins better supports the rudder skins in the overall assembly and the whole things lays together better.

Roberta

good info, thanks

Thanks Roberta, that's the way I'll do it.

One note, I have seen at least one RV rudder done the other way. My suspicion is that there might be quite a few 7s and 9s flying w the rudder skin tucked underneath the thicker CB skin.

Regards all - - Tom

If you stare at the plans long enough, either you go nuts or figure that the rudder skins go on the outside. Then you have to figure out which rivets to do first.

I riveted my counterbalance skins on the outside. It seemed more logical to do this at the time and even though I know it is "incorrect" I have no intentions of fixing it.

If you stare at the plans long enough, either you go nuts or figure that the rudder skins go on the outside. Then you have to figure out which rivets to do first.

yup, and if you dont figure out which rivets to do first and just start riveting, you have to shell out money for cherry max rivets to fix the holes you left and no longer have access to!! (ask me how I know) :rolleyes:

Back