What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7/9 slider roll bar fore-aft positioning

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
Van's is closed for the weekend and I'm stumped.

I'm trying to fit my slider canopy roll bar onto my aft-canopy decks. DWG 42 indicates that the aft end of the roll bar should be positioned 2-5/8" aft of the top F704 bulkhead rivet on the side of the fuselage. Easy enough. The drawing seems to show that measurement being from the rivet to the back of the weld on the bottom of the roll bar, not the back side of the roll bar itself. Problem is that the welds on each side of the roll bar are not even close in thickness to each other.

1. This leads me to wonder if I'm supposed to be measuring back 2-5/8" to the back of the roll bar (and thus disregard the weld entirely since it would be variable on everyone's). What do you think?

2. Also, did anyone else find that the roll bar flanges were not the same size on both sides? Mine are about 1/16" shorter on one side, thus preventing me from using the dwg. measurments for locating the forward-most bolt. I assume I disregard the drawing's measurement and locate the forward bolt wherever I need to to have the appropriate edge distance for the bolt on the roll bar flange?

3. How critical is the fore-aft position of the roll-bar? If I'm, say, 1/16" off one way or another (but equal on each side) am I going to have any problems down the road? In other words, am I worrying about basically nothing?

Thanks for any help.

If you can get the bow perpindicular to the centerline of the fuselage and have the fore and afte dimension down to +/- 1/16", you're in great shape, drill the holes.

The main thing the fore/aft dimension does is determine how far fore/aft your canopy bubble rests, which doesn't matter a bit if we're talking increments of 1/16".

Back