What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7/9 slider question

Flyguytki

Well Known Member
I am at the hanger working on the canopy frame right now and vans help is closed till Friday. When the canopy is latched, are the canopy frame and roll bar supposed to be touching? Right now mine is touching a bit to much and the frame actually rides up on the roll bar about a 1/4 inch as you latch it. I'm working to fix that however the ultimate question is are they supposed to be touching when pulled closed and latched?

Thanks for the quick help!!

-David

You don't want what you have. Read ahead to the part where / how you're going to install the canopy latch and it will make sense why. Unfortunately, here's no short answer to the fitting of the canopy frame to the roll bar.

Dan

David,

The roll bar and canopy frame need to be setup not to touch closed. When you are setting up the fit there, I use a 3/8" piece of plywood taped to the rear of the roll bar (@ the base) for the frame to fit up to and I clamp it. YMMV :)

Last edited:
to touch or not to touch...

I am just installing the canopy and have finished with the frame installation. They should not touch. THe best way to check is put the canopy latch on and then see what spacing it wants. You can also adjust the height of the two legs of the frame by the roll bar with cuts (small ones) and/or inserts. Each plane is different and I had to bend the rear track down a little, which moved the frame back slightly. I have about 3/16ths inch between the frame and the roll bar, but there is probably some tolerance on the distance. When I finally got the height right, the frame ended up at the right distance and parallel to the roll bar.

Thanks for the quick answers, I'm glad I asked, next question when lookin at he plans it shows you can change the latch as long as you leave 3/8 inch of material, does this mean I can alter the latch and cut the notch farther back than it currently is or should you only cut the backside/ extra material off?

Alter the size/shape of the latch hook slot as required to get an "over-center" condition without distorting or lifting the frame when the canopy is latched. My inside canopy handle is just past parallel to centerline when it's in the latched position. My canopy frame contacts the roll bar in 2 spots - just forward of the front bow on both sides where the roller wheel pads are attached.
Drill the bolt hole for the outside handle parallel to aircraft centerline.

Back