What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7/9 forward fuse gussetts not flush with firewall

alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
I'm fitting my forward fuse. gussets (F-695). When one edge lines up with the longeron vertex, the forward edge is not parallel to the firewall, but is about 1/16" short on the inboard corner of the gusset. It's like the gusset was not cut at exactly the proper angle. On the other hand, all the external measurements of the gusset are per plans. If I use it as is, my rivet line on the firewall angle will not be down the center but at an angle. Is this standard? Alternatively, have others perhaps trimmed the gusset to match the longeron-firewall angle? Thanks.
14646331kh4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I'd just trim/Scotchbrite-wheel to fit. I had one of those brackets that one cut wrong, but it was off by much more than that.

This problem was discussed a year or so ago. You might try looking in the archives, but I trimmed mine to fit flush with the firewall.

Thanks for the replies. Since my longeron goes straight from F904C to the firewall weldment, there's no possible way to misbend that part of the longeron. There's only twist in that forward 28 1/4 inches. It sounds like others noticed the same. What I'm thinking is that maybe, since it was a -6 part originally (F-695), the 6's slightly narrower fuselage required this angle. In any case, thanks for the replies.

Edit:
I just looked this up after having found nothing before my original post with a search using "f-695". However, "gusset" turned up a few hits (dumb me), one of which was just last February when william weesner found the same discrepency. Apparently Van's is shipping some 695's that are cut correctly and many that are not.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=5688&page=2&pp=10&highlight=gusset

Last edited:
Mismanufactured parts

Looks like your the third one to get the wrong part from Vans. Of should I say defective parts. The ones that came with my RV-7 were like this. If you look at your part you'll see the angle is less than 90 degrees. The correct part will have an angle grater than 90 degrees. I'f you trim the part the rivet spacing will be very tight. Just call Vans and the'll send you another set.

I had those bad parts too

Gents,

I too had these parts. I had primered them in advance and then when it came time to install them I had the same issue. Thought about it for a while and decided to make new ones out of an old RV-4 instrument panel blank I had laying around. I keep all my scrap parts just in case I can use the material.

Caution- Layout the rivet pattern carefully. Make sure you know exactly where the holes in the weldment and longeron are going to exit be before you drill. This is one area you don't want to mess up.

Paul
RV-7A finishing kit

Back