What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7/9 flap/fuse overlap

Paul Eastham

Well Known Member
Hey all,
I've got my wings about ready for rear spar drilling. Everything is lined up perfectly -- sweep, incidence, etc all reading perfectly straight as far as I can tell. Digital level, etc.

However, after reading the Van's wing mounting document, I tried putting on the flaps to see how they fit. In the full up position, they hang nearly a half-inch below flush with the fuselage.

The overlapping flap skin can be bent to cover this gap, but is this normal? Or should I go looking harder for some sort of incidence problem?

Thanks - Paul

Paul,

Pretty normal. I'll try to drop in at So. County when buzzing around this weekend and you can see another one very similar. A 1/2 inch sounds a bit much though. Private message me with your number or schedule when you'll be at the airport.

Best,

Thanks Brian,
I guess it is about 3/8. A bit under a half-inch.

I may not be down at the hangar at all this weekend, unfortunately. Family stuff... If you do happen to be down there, you can check row India (2nd from left when viewed from runway) and see if I'm there. Look for a Subaru.

Paul

Last edited:
Did you check your alignment of flaps with ailerons using the aileron alignment tool (the oak board) and then adjust flap push rod that goes through a hole you drill in the bottom and side of the fuse. When we did, things matched perfectly as a call to Vans said they would. They said that with the new flaps on the 9 problems as addressed in the generic instructions don't apply.
We, on Van's advice, went ahead and drilled the rear spar first and then mounted the flaps. Things worked out for us.
Good luck,

Back