What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7 ---> 7A?

empennage for a 7

I did my 7a empennage last year and I don't recall anything specific between a 7 and 7a on it. The differences happen later in the aft fuselage for the tail wheel. If you have the notebook drawings, you can look and see if there are any notes about the difference. If there is a difference a note will call it out.

The empennage is the same for both. The fuselage has slight differences in the way the gear mounts, but the tail is a tail is a tail.

you have to decide where to go...

the "choose your own adventure" begins when you order the fuselage. The wings and tail are unisex

the options are more numerous with the fuse for sure tri/tail tu/slider dual brake or single engine choice and so on-so forth

so, yes they're all identical back there.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. There's an uncompleted RV-7 empennage kit and tools for sale in the classified section. No excuses now!!

Hard decision

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I think it is related...(if not, please delete it)

Just today I went again on the 7-7A decision... I started the project as a 7A..then switched to taildragger when ordered the fuselage kit because I like how the taildragger looks and because it looks more robust on unpaved runways... today, after a landing with a C172 in x-wind with gusts that required much more attention than usual (and two go-arounds), I tried to figure in my mind the same landing with a taildragger. Having only a few hours on a TD (PA-18) and still not confortable (mhmm.. let's say my landings are absolutelly ugly!!), I almost decided to switch again to the tri-gear RV.

Now the question: having built only the bulkheads, which components have I to order in the event I want to switch to tri-gear that are missed in the TD fuse kit? (I have still not ordered the finishing kit).

Obviously, in the event I decide to go with the tri-gear I'll contact Van's and will give a close look to the plans to have more details, but I'm just trying to figure out what the change will imply.

Parts to convert TD to tri-gear...

Claudio,

You should contact Van's for a complete parts difference list. However, and from my memory...

There are the obvious ones such as the main gear legs.
Also, the main gear has large welded assemblies that hold the main gear legs, and requires various bolts to go with them.
There are some small pieces of sheet metal to cover the fuel lines on the spar in the cockpit, and the brackets that hold the fuel lines there may be different.
Obviously the engine mount is different but that comes with the finish kit, with the nose gear leg.
There is a bracket on the firewall that holds the brake lines which is different for the Tri-gear as it does not pass the brake lines through the firewall.

Of course there are a few parts on the TD version that you would not be using on the tri-gear.

That's all I can think of right now.

Bevan
RV7A (orginally intended as a 7A/A combo until I came to my senses and just did a 7A:D)

Back