What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7,7A, 9, 9A flap question

RV9newbie

I'm New Here
While flying my new-to-me 9A my flaps stopped working. After examination I discovered the flap actuator had become disconnected from the flap weldment arm. Seems like a somewhat easy fix but I have questions:

1) While disconnected from the flap weldment arm the flap actuator rotates under power, is this normal?

2) It appears the builder drilled through the actuator and into the jam-nut bolt in a failed attempt to drill a hole for the safety wire. He then successfully drilled another hole through the actuator for the safety wire. (see attached pic link).

3) The jam-nut has a hole in the end, is that for grease? Or do I simply apply grease to the swivel on the jam-nut?

4) Assuming the rotation of the arm is normal and will stop when the jam-nut is tightened are the arm and jam-nut okay to use as is? (see pic link)

1kint_AO1motTTIDn0c__9Px63MNDA3hK

Phil,
Good job with this.
Definitely follow up on all SB’s but I believe they would’ve been caught @ the W29 prebuy.
I would replace the drilled “heim” end. I don’t believe strength has been sacrificed to any degree on the threaded tube end.
A jam nut will be more than adequate to hold the “heim”.
If you have more questions, reach out. We’ll find a safe solution.

Mark

Back