What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

7,000 miles wrapped around Sun-N-Fun

[email protected]

Well Known Member
A great two weeks of travel wrapped around Sun-N-Fun. Nearly 7,000 miles with 38 hours of flight time burning nearly 350 gallons of avgas.
Gotta love RV travel!
Not all stops were planned... two for weather and two for bladder! Lot's of Family visits along the way (in KY, FL, PA, and CO) and a really great time.

sunnfun11.jpg

glad you made it back home

Glad you stopped by while I was working on my 9A at SNF. My wife enjoyed talking with your wife and I enjoyed what little time I had talking with you. Too bad we live so far apart, it might be fun getting together sometime. Perhaps we can get together again at Oshkosh if we all make it there this year.

it's a small world in an RV

Hi Steve, I look forward to getting together again soon... see you at Oshkosh, LOE, back at GLO, always looking for an excuse! I really want to make a trip to the Caribbean sometime... :)

It is good to be able to put a face and plane to a "login" here at VAF!

Glad you had such a nice trip.

NICE airplane.

James
(the OLDER red/white RV SbS that was ALSO pulled off into the grass :) )

VFR or IFR?

Stephen,

Do you mind me asking, did you fly the entire trip VFR?

Ditto the desire to make the trip to the Caribbean someday...

VFR but prepared if needed...

The whole trip was launched as VFR or MVFR. Generally I am not interested in filing IFR but am prepared to pick up a clearance if absolutly needed. We had to wait a couple of hours to launch twice and deviate from deteriating conditions a couple of times.

A couple of notes though... I use Forflight extensively for planning and have XM weather in flight. I don't lock in on a flight plan and regularly modify direction and duration of legs based on current conditions, actual aircraft performance, and the need for a bladder break. I routinely fly VFR on top and will fly exploratory MVFR conditions with good visibility. For greater flexibility in the Rockies we have oxygen.

Back