What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A wheel pant replacement

Hal McKinnon

I'm New Here
I am in the process of purchasing an already built RV6A. It is in very good condition. The recent owner landed and cracked the wheel pant on the nose wheel. I am not a builder, but can fix a few things and have done a little repair on Fiberglass before..My question, is : would it be easier to repair the old one or just replace it with a new one? I have a friend who can help with either, but says repairing will be pretty expensive, and time consuming. A new one is around $140.00. I have understood that they do require some trimming, cutting, sanding etc.and obviously painting..I would appreciate some suggestions. I am excited about getting the RV, just want to get this fixed..thanks,,Hal

Fiberglass

Fix it,,,,, you will find that it will take about one tenth the time to repair the original than to try to install a new wheel pant. Fiberglass is easy to work with.

I would say FIX IT. Not hard to do. If you would like someone to look at it for sympathy and encouragement, jut let me know. I am in Cary.

Our local EAA chapter (1114) has a number of RV builders with fiberglass experience, so don't hesitate to contact one of us if you are so inclined.

agree

Even ripped up pants can be repaired to original, and often times easier than new.

Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

Just the other day I fixed a 1/2" X 3" hole in the hull of a fiberglass boat. From start to finish including filler, sanding, and paint it took about 6 hours and most of that was curing time (using fast-cure resin). I think it took longer to drink the beer than lay the fiberglass.

I say fix-it. You can buy most of the repair supplies at the local hardware, auto, or marine store.

These things may look like easy remove and replace - wrong!

Fix it. The one you have fits on your airplane and if all the rigging and fitting are right preserve it. I developed subfairings for mine to get more of the tire covered for racing speed but I had a wear through flat on the way home recently which damaged the subfairing. I just finished the repair and it is ready for paint tomorrow.

Bob Axsom

Back