What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6A to 6... when is it too late?

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up an RV-6A project that's near completion. I was looking for a 6 (I recently started taildragging... it's a bad habit, I know) but I've seen a few 6A's that are near completion.

My question is - how far along is "too far" to reasonably change the gear style? First and foremost, I want to go flying... so if a really good deal comes along, I just want to know some opinions on when I need to commit to the idea of a tricycle configuration.

Thanks!

Not too difficult to change after the fact - a number of flying A models have been converted to TD, including mine. Search the archives and you should find some good information. Cost for a finished airplane will be in the 2-3 thousand $ range as you need to buy new engine mount & gear legs, change some brake hardware, and add the tailwheel hardware. Can make some of that back if you sell the existing parts.

Greg

Can make some of that back if you sell the existing parts.

Can't count on being able to do the same with a 6A.
The 6 wing spars were not drilled with the same level of precision as the 7/9.
Once the main gear weldments have been match drilled to a fuselage/wings, it wont be a direct bolt in to another fuse/wings (most likely).

The worst parts of converting from a 6A to a 6:
1) you've got to fill in the holes in the fuselage where the gear legs and entry steps used to be.
2) you've got to take apart the 2 aft most bulkheads and install the proper beef to hold the tailwheel

YMMV....

Back