What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-6A nose wheel axle torque

brian

Well Known Member
Do any of you have the torque value for the nose wheel axle bolt/nut on a -6A with standard (post-nose gear SB) components?

thanks,
brian

Prior to getting the axle upgrade [my interpretation] from Matco, I tighten the bolt to make sure I have at least a couple of threats out but judging it mainly based on the tension/binding that it would put on the wheel.

Now, with that axle add-on from Matco, I can torque the nut to the proper value for its size without ever binging or effecting the wheel. It is the best $56 to spend.

http://www.matcomfg.com/AxleAssemblies-tp2-1.html?Pos=36

Do any of you have the torque value for the nose wheel axle bolt/nut on a -6A with standard (post-nose gear SB) components?

thanks,
brian

Brian - If your plane was built in 1995 as your signature indicates, it probably has the sturdy, 1.25" diameter aluminum bar going fully from side to side, with two additional hollow cylinders slid over this bar to push against the bearings. The torque then is whatever torque is specified for the 3/8" bolt and nut you have. If this causes significant drag on the wheel bearings, the 1.25" diameter bar should be shimmed to allow more bearing clearance. The design is such that the bearing preload is not a function of how much you tighten the axle bolt.

If you have the mushroom, no solid axle design, throw it out and get something like the previous poster mentioned (see numerous posts on this topic by me and others on this topic; let's keep it out of this thread please).

Back