What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

663 Canopy brace distance to windscreen

BruceP

Well Known Member
Hi all, I'm just curious what kind of distance you have between the 663 canopy brace and the windscreen where it meets the skin? I am doing my final trimming of the windscreen and I'm sure it'll be fine but wondered what others had. I trimmed the bottom of the windscreen right at where the mold flange was. Right now the distance I have is approximately 3.25" where it sits best. Thanks!

Hi Bruce-
If you take a look at a fly-in, they're all over the place. FWIW, the center portion of my windscreen ended up just barely fwd of the subpanel row of rivets. However, if you've got a great fit all the way around, leave it where it's at is what I'd recommend.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That's...

A much better place to measure from! In my case I'm 3/16" aft of the row of rivets prior to any fiberglass. Thanks for the reply and photo!

There are some dimensions given on the tip up plans for where the canopy bubble should sit on the canopy frame. I realize the skins and underlying structures are different with the slider, but if you go from the firewall back the distance that is called out is approximately 16.75".

That distance is about 15 1/8" from the front edge of the skin to where mine sits right now. The subpanel row of rivets is almost exactly 15".

The forward skin on the tip up is 15" wide, and Van's instructions say that the canopy bubble will be about 1.75" back on C-702 canopy skin. I'm sure the fit on the slider is different, so if it looks good at 15.125" who am I to argue ;)

I just put the canopy reinforcement braces in tonight. Man what a pain to get those side parts to sit in there flat!

Back