What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

60Amp Alternator Installation

647jc

Well Known Member
I?m installing the standard Vans 60Amp alternator kit on an O320-D2A with a Sky-Tec Starter. The instructions call for the fabrication of a support strut between the alternator and the starter, made out of supplied 1/4 ? aluminum stock. It states the support strut may have to be ?joggled? to align with the flanges on both the alternator and starter. The strut will be about 2 1/2 ? long and it appears the joggle for my configuration will be about ??. Bending a ?? joggle in a 2 ?? long piece of ?? aluminum is going to be very difficult. So, I though I could just make a ?? think shim (washer) to mount between the strut and starter flange thus eliminating the need to joggle. Anyone see any issues doing this?

Not that difficult

Put it into a large vice with protected jaws and beat on it. It is really not that hard to do.

I think (very dangerous relying on memory, so might be wrong...) that a spacer might push the bolt head out into the path of the belt or something....JonJay is right - the joggle isn't that hard to do - big vice, big hammer - presto, instant joggle!

same build point

A couple of observations:
I installed my alternator yesterday stopping short of completing the alt-to-starter brace (gotta buy the starter).

I looked at a friend's -6 with B&C alt and Skytec starter. No strap is required because 1. The B&C alt does not have a flange to attach it and 2. the B&C alt is so far forward that a 3/4" joggle would be required in the strap. The B&C attached to the engine with a steel bracket using only the first 2 engine case holes.

Another friend with a -6 equipped with an older (circa 2001) Vans 60A alternator and Skytec starter did NOT have to joggle his connecting strap.

Steve

and what's with "install bracket using the 4 undrilled bolts bending the tabs against the bolt heads then safety wire bolt #3"?

:) I also wondered about the 4 undrilled bolts and safety wire the third???? I thought perhaps it would come to me later but not yet, must be a misprint or some sort of brain fart I guess.

I know a couple of builders who did not install the support strut and wish they had. Without it the lightweight alternator arm (the slotted piece) must bear the burden of a lot of vibration and this quickly leads to cracking.

Like you, I thought the piece would be difficult to make. It wasn't exactly easy but I did it and it was worth the effort.

I thought that Van was now providing this piece pre-made. If not, check with PlanePower or B&C, as I'm pretty sure their alternator package includes this piece and perhaps they'll sell it to you.

Chris

Back