What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

60/40 Seats

Phil

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to place the finish kit order and I'm thinking that I might want to omit the seats in favor of seats from Oregon, Flight Line Int, etc....

I really don't like the gap between the rear seats and Abby's solution of stuffing a cushion between them looks pretty sloppy.

I believe Classic Aero had a 60/40 rear seat; but they've since quit doing anything for the RV-10.

Anyone know who builds a 60/40 rear seat? I'll probably send it off to Abby to cover, but I need to find the seat first.

Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:
Phil,

One of Tim's write ups talked about the advantages of the 60/40 versus the upholstered insert from Abby.

If I recall the conclusion correctly, he favored having the ability for the rear seat person having the capability to reach into the baggage area during flight while seated.

The 60/40 seat would make getting into the baggage area more difficult.

There is no right answer and it's really up to personal preference.

Call Oregon. They will probably do the seats, but that is speculation on my part. The problems they had were related to other customizations that weren't managed well.

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/

Phil,

http://www.cleavelandtoolstore.com/ sells a 60/40 rear seat and will upholster for you as well, they are who I plan to use, I have seen their work and it is very well done.

John

I'm getting ready to place the finish kit order and I'm thinking that I might want to omit the seats in favor of seats from Oregon, Flight Line Int, etc....

I really don't like the gap between the rear seats and Abby's solution of stuffing a cushion between them looks pretty sloppy.

I believe Classic Aero had a 60/40 rear seat; but they've since quit doing anything for the RV-10.

Anyone know who builds a 60/40 rear seat? I'll probably send it off to Abby to cover, but I need to find the seat first.

Thanks,
Phil

I'm surprised no one has done a 40/20/40 seat, like the one in my old Grand Prix. I'm not at that stage, yet, but I am already pondering this.

Dont even think of skipping the Oregon Aero front seats- I know Vans may ship them to Oregon Aero but it is quite expensive from what I recall.
I built the 60/40 myself- really easy to do. With two smaller adults (aka children) it really isn't too hard to move over to the 60 side and pull the 40 down, or simply reaching over the bar would work too to access the baggage area.
I found an inexpensive way to upholster my seats and I dont think they are at the level of Oregon aero and others mentioned but if I were to do it again, I would build the seats and take it to an auto upholstery place, which would have been more expensive still about 1/2to 1/3 the price of the places mentioned, Also be sure to use the same type of foam that came with the front seats (AS&S and Vans sell it, I got it online), I used 2 layers of blue and 1 layer of pink.
My point, build the seats yourself and have a custom auto shop do the upholstery work, just provide the critical foam for the back so you have that same level of comfort and safety as the aircraft shops would provide.
Just a thought so you can put the money towards other needed finishing kit options.

Pascal
RV-10

Last edited:
Back