What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 to 6A

wbdietz

I'm New Here
I have seen a couple of places where people want to turn a 6A into a 6, but I want to discuss the feasibility of turning a completed 6 into a 6A. I did not build the plane so consider me a nube, but I need to make a decision about converting or just selling the 6 and finding a 6A or 7A in good condition. I need help in assessing how hard a conversion would be, because I like my plane, but I need the nose wheel configuration for another pilot.

6 to 6A?

If you are not a "builder", I would NOT recommend this conversion. It's certainly not a weekend job.

I have seen a couple of places where people want to turn a 6A into a 6, but I want to discuss the feasibility of turning a completed 6 into a 6A. .

I agree with MEL! The 6A has additional reinforcement in the side of the fusealage in front of the spar in the "wing root area". 6A builders know all too well of this structural addition not present on the 6 (or 7). I assume it has to do with the 6A landing gear mounts. It's probably easier to go from the 6A to the 6, IMHO.

Last edited:
replacing the engine mount, possibly cowling, etc. :eek:

Good point Rusty! But ........... I know if one went from the 6A to the 6 you'd have to replace the engine mount. Question is, would the engine mount have to be replaced if you went from a 6 to a 6A???

Good point Rusty! But ........... I know if one went from the 6A to the 6 you'd have to replace the engine mount. Question is, would the engine mount have to be replaced if you went from a 6 to a 6A???

Yes, the nose gear socket is part of the mount.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Easier Conversion

Much easier conversion...
8-10 hrs is all it takes to convert a tri-gear pilot to a tailwheel pilot.
AND they will thank you for it ;)

Training is an option

8-10 hrs is all it takes to convert a tri-gear pilot to a tailwheel pilot

You might get a tailwheel endorsement in 8-10 hours but please do not think that is enough. I got my PPL in about 45 hours and the examiner said in no uncertain terms it only meant I was safe - it did not mean I was competent or good. The same goes for tailwheel.

Your original post implies you already have the -6. I could be wrong.

I'm not saying to "not" consider the training but do be realistic that it requires training and you would then want additional time and consider going back for transitional training for the RV as a tailwheel.

The "A" is a great plane and if you are not comfortable with a tailwheel airplane then you might consider getting into an "A" with a trade or sale/buy or getting skilled help if you go the conversion route.

Just my own opinion and if we were at the airfield cafe, this is what I'd say over our $100 hamberger and coffee.

Back