What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 or 7

erikpmort

Well Known Member
Hey guys I have a 50k budget. I see an occasional 7 in the 50s but not many.

I'm 6'1 my most frequent passenger is 6'2 we are both 190 lbs.

Should I be patient and wait out a 7 or 7a or is it not that big of a difference ? I know it's a bit bigger a little more useful, etc but should I sacrifice a more equipped 6 for a 7 ? I need to ride in a 6 that would help. I've ridden in a 9a so I know what the 7 cabin feels like.

Thanks.

My humble advice is ...

Hey guys I have a 50k budget.
I'm 6'1 my most frequent passenger is 6'2 we are both 190 lbs.

Duck!

Honestly, I concluded some time ago that my 'elevated view' of the world on the ground is not the universal norm, and that almost all the RV builders are shorter than 'us'. :D One important solution is to significantly reduce the thickness of the paddiing under the pilot.

Although I know nothing specific, I'd be willing to speculate that the new RV-14 canopy height 'could' indicate an interesting retrofit option for those blessed with our 'condition'. :rolleyes: and an abundance of patience, energy and $.:cool:

You won't notice a difference between the 9A & 6 cabin either, even though there is a hair difference. What I've noticed myself, is that I lost an inch on the sides, where my knee is............when the interiors are more of the fancy models.

Personally, I'd never switch from a 6 to a 7, considering the cost. IMO, the six flies a bit better in terms of agility. For something larger, I'd have to move to the 14. Around 225 lbs. (loosing quickly) & 6'1".

BTW--- For the blindfolded test & turbulence, you can't even tell the difference between the 9 & 6, even though the 9 is more sedate (less fun)
in handeling. It lands slower too, as well as a slower climb & top speed. I haven't tried a 200 hp 7.

whew

You won't notice a difference between the 9A & 6 cabin either, even though there is a hair difference. What I've noticed myself, is that I lost an inch on the sides, where my knee is............when the interiors are more of the fancy models.

Personally, I'd never switch from a 6 to a 7, considering the cost. IMO, the six flies a bit better in terms of agility. For something larger, I'd have to move to the 14. Around 225 lbs. (loosing quickly) & 6'1".

BTW--- For the blindfolded test & turbulence, you can't even tell the difference between the 9 & 6, even though the 9 is more sedate (less fun)
in handeling. It lands slower too, as well as a slower climb & top speed. I haven't tried a 200 hp 7.

I am relieved to hear this and that was my biggest concern- the size. I'll just pick up a 6/ 6a then and look forward to building a 14 or something in the future :) thanks!

I am relieved to hear this and that was my biggest concern- the size. I'll just pick up a 6/ 6a then and look forward to building a 14 or something in the future :) thanks!

You're welcome. I have lots of hours in a 6A, 9A, and a bit of a 7.
My 6A is a bit roomier, because I don't have the side panels by the knee.
BTW-- I use Classic Aero seats. They're comfy!

you ought to fly up to cache valley while the trees are still red in sardine canyon- beautiful- and i could buy you some gas :)

those seats are pretty nice and expensive!

Check out the new mod for full figured and tall pilots on Antisplataero.com. It's called something like the RV14 mod.

Back