What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5th Point in a -6A

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
I've been all over the search links and just cannot find any pictures of the 5th point belt mount in a -6A. I've read that the -6A is different than the -7 and -9 because of the spacing of the floor ribs. If anyone has any pictures or measurements of how things go together I'd be appreciative. I'm trying to finish up some loose ends on my very slow build -6A so I can close things up. Thanks for the help.
Paul

Paul:

I planned to put a 5th point in my RV-6 but been too busy flying to go back and do it. I looked for how to years ago and came up with these images from somebody but do not remember who. The airplane has now been flying over 13-years so this may be an OLD solution to the issue. The files on my computer are dated 16 Sept 1999.

5point1.jpg

5point2.jpg

5point3.jpg

5point4.jpg

5ptr3.gif

I did not install the 5th point but when I get around to it, I will more than likely do it something link this.

Here's how I did it...

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...&project=427&category=2488&log=114124&row=327

I had ordered Van's F-1267A and F-1267B brackets, but found that they were too narrow to fit between my ribs. The link puts you near the beginning of my details of building new brackets and shows how I riveted them in place.

This link shows the completed modified brackets just prior to riveting in place: http://www.mykitlog.com/users/displ...&project=427&category=2488&log=114178&row=305

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
5th point

I have a late 6A quickbuild. I ordered the crotch belt attach hardware for the 7 from Vans and installation went quite well, despite some of the comments I had received. I cannot access the plane for the moment, but could provide photos in a week or two if you send me an email with a reminder.

The crotch strap that came with my harness had a short tubular weldment with plates on the end. It bolted or riveted to the seat bottom ribs, which were supposed to have doublers added.

I've never installed the crotch belt because it would require cutting a hole (or holes) in my seats.

Old picture

I wish I could give credit, but this is a picture I got off the web some time ago - don't know whose plane it is.

crotchstrap2.jpg

I bought the RV7/9 5th point mount set from Vans. It looks like it will work fine. At most I will have to cut one of the flanges off and replace it with some angle to adjust the width a little.

I used the 7/9 fifth-point kit. I had to re-do the flanges in order to get them to fit...but the kit had the right parts/drawings/engineering already done. Don't have pictures - but I essentially followed their instructions while modifying the flanges to fit the narrower seat rib spacing.

Thanks

As always, VAF comes through. I have a pretty good idea of where everything goes now and I may order the -7 kit from vans or roll my own adding to the very slow build. In any case thanks to all.
Paul

Back