What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5052-0 Fuel Lines

Brantel

Well Known Member
So I want to make some of my fuel lines out of 5052-0 instead of the tubing Van’s provides.

I am building as an E-LSA and have purchased the entire pre-fabricated kit that Aircraft Specialties offers for E-LSA. That being said to make the remaining two longer lines I need a 4’ and an 8’ piece of 5052-0.

ACS quoted $215 to ship two 12’ sticks.

Anyone know of a more reasonable source in East TN?

Curious

Two things:
1. Curious why you want to change from tried and true?

2. The Vans tubing is really soft. But the standard flaring tool everyone uses is actually not shaped like a cone, but more like a 8 sided pyramid. This leaves to flare not perfectly round. With the Vans tubing being so soft, it will deform and mate well with the standard AN fittings. I think if you use a harder tubing, and the same flaring tool, you might find leaks. I really would have liked to use a proper aerospace production flaring tool with a true cone, but those seem to be hard to find. JMHO.

I have a Parker Roto-Flare tool I've used for many years. It indeed has the "8 sided pyramid" you are referring to. If you're looking for a more reliable flaring tool you won't find one. It will work with 5052 or 3003 (the "coiled" stuff). I've done both, never had a leak.

Two things:

2. The Vans tubing is really soft. But the standard flaring tool everyone uses is actually not shaped like a cone, but more like a 8 sided pyramid. This leaves to flare not perfectly round. With the Vans tubing being so soft, it will deform and mate well with the standard AN fittings. I think if you use a harder tubing, and the same flaring tool, you might find leaks. I really would have liked to use a proper aerospace production flaring tool with a true cone, but those seem to be hard to find. JMHO.

The Parker tool actually has six sides to the cone of which only three are used to form the flare. Designed that way to ease in forming the flare and finish with a burnished surface for a leak free connection.

Two things:

1. 5052-0 is also tried and true. Many use it for fuel and brake lines. It is also what Tom and Steve use at Aircraft Specialty Flightlines which means it is the best option for the job. Also since I am going with their kit, I want all the lines to be made out of the same stuff.

2. I have successfully used my flaring tool with 5052-0 many times without any issue at all.

Last edited:
ACS came back and said they could ship it “coiled” for $25 so that may be what I do. Takes the advantage of the typical straight lengths away but I can straighten it.

I am building as an E-LSA and have purchased the entire pre-fabricated kit that Aircraft Specialties offers for E-LSA.

Keep in mind that to qualify for E-LSA all of the parts have to come from Vans. The kit from Aircraft Specialties has a disclaimer that it can only be used to retrofit on a E-LSA after you receive your airworthiness certificate.

Keep in mind that to qualify for E-LSA all of the parts have to come from Vans. The kit from Aircraft Specialties has a disclaimer that it can only be used to retrofit on a E-LSA after you receive your airworthiness certificate.

Actually they have a disclaimer that only one of their offerings can’t be used with E-SLA. The reason is it changes the design by adding a bulkhead fitting to that particular line.

There is no disclaimer on the rest of their offering as it relates to fuel lines.

Last edited:
ACS came back and said they could ship it “coiled” for $25 so that may be what I do. Takes the advantage of the typical straight lengths away but I can straighten it.

There is a premium for shipping lengths over 6’. Have them ship in 6’ lengths. Coiling 5052-O would be a mess to straighten. Most certified aircraft use 5052-O. I certainly do.

You can not register your RV-12 as E-LSA without the proper paperwork from Van's.
In order to get that paperwork, you must sign a form stating that you purchased
EVERY part from Van's and assembled the plane EXACTLY per the instructions.
Van's employees read this forum.

There is a premium for shipping lengths over 6’. Have them ship in 6’ lengths. Coiling 5052-O would be a mess to straighten. Most certified aircraft use 5052-O. I certainly do.

Unfortunately I need an 85” piece.

You can not register your RV-12 as E-LSA without the proper paperwork from Van's.
In order to get that paperwork, you must sign a form stating that you purchased
EVERY part from Van's and assembled the plane EXACTLY per the instructions.
Van's employees read this forum.

Don’t worry guys. I know and understand the rules. Most people that know me well know that I always have a plan.

Last edited:
Uncoiling a roll of 5052O and making straight lengths would be a pain. WE experimented years ago with a tube straightener. Hated it. We'd rather buy it in straight lengths.

Tom

Don’t worry guys. I know and understand the rules. Most people that know me well know that I always have a plan.

If your plan is to change out the lines after certification, then it will work.

Otherwise, it's EAB!

Good luck with that plan. I wouldn’t buy anything until you got that letter.

But, approval aside, have you looked closely at how the long D line is installed? You need to pass it through four bushings and bend it to follow the contour of the fuselage bottom skin to fit in the guides. I think that would be extremely difficult with the high-temper lines. It was tough enough with the softer material.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpg
    IMG_1064.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 44
Coiled?

Coiled 5052? Pretty sure I wouldn’t do that as it would be a mess and difficult to straighten. The 3003 comes coiled as it is really soft, 5052 is much harder…

Coiled 5052? Pretty sure I wouldn’t do that as it would be a mess and difficult to straighten. The 3003 comes coiled as it is really soft, 5052 is much harder…

It certainly won't be "-O" after it is uncoiled. Any bending will work harden the material from its annealed state.

It certainly won't be "-O" after it is uncoiled. Any bending will work harden the material from its annealed state.

Wouldn’t that also apply to the 3003 tubing that is normally supplied coiled?

Last edited:
Coiled

Some what, but it starts out more malleable than 5052 so it doesn’t seem to matter.
Not familiar with the negative impact of rolling / unrolling 5052-0.

Having fabricated all of my lines from 5052, I don’t see how they would even offer it coiled.

Just curious; has Vans ever issued a letter, in writing, allowing a deviation from the RV12 KAI??

Everything here, no? https://www.vansaircraft.com/servic...sions/?aircraft=rv-12is&doctype=all&sort=date

Service Bulletins are deviations from the KAI that must be installed during construction. But there are others, too. For example, my understanding is that it would be "fair game" for the roomier control stick discussed in SL-00048 or the blade-style throttle grip discussed in SL 19-10-30 to be installed during construction, as those are changes authorized by Van's. Similarly, there is a list of authorized substitute parts in the Van's maintenance manual VAD-10005, e.g. AN526C832-R8 <-> Fastenal 0175181 for interior panels. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Whether Van's has ever done so in response to a builder's request to swap in a different material... that's a different question.

Back