What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 point seat belts

Check6

Well Known Member
How difficult is it to add the fifth point to an RV 6 that does not have it built in? Currently have a 4 point and want to up grade, flying with smaller kids.

Thanks.

I bought the RV7 kit too. Some of the underseat ribs on the 6 are pointing the wrong way - and the spacing isn't the same. I ended up trimming the flange of one side of each set and rebuilding the flange. I think I might have pictures floating around.

RV -6 5 pt harness

If you have any pictures that would be great. I guess most RV6s don't have or use the 5 pt harness. Thanks for the reply.

Some pictures...

If you have any pictures that would be great. I guess most RV6s don't have or use the 5 pt harness. Thanks for the reply.

..."borrowed" from the Internet some time ago. They are from a RV-6.

Unfortunately, I can't give credit to the original poster though...

crotchstrap.jpg

crotchstrap2.jpg

Bobby,

I installed the RV-7 crotch strap kit on my flying -6. The parts for the 7 didn't fit the 6 exactly, but with a little "make it to fit" they do now. Sort of the way the whole airplane is built. I don't have any pics, but they way Gary did it (previous post) is pretty much exactly like I did.

IMHO the crotch strap should not be an option, it should be a standard part of every kit, and all seat belts should be 5 point. Even if you never fly aerobatics, the 5 point harness is much more effective in a crash, as the crotch strap holds the lap and shoulder belts in the proper place. Plus, the whole arrangement is much more comfortable for everyday flying, as the crotch strap keeps the lap belts from riding up on your hips.

Mine is similar to Gary's also - except that I used countersunk rivets where the 'rebuilt' flanges face each other. That allowed me to use a chunk of aluminum as a spacer when I drilled the attachment holes to the underseat ribs to keep the slot parallel.

Seat Harness

Thanks for the pics and help! What a great forum.... I will get a kit from Vans. Any words of wisdom on seat harness kits? I have heard a lot about Hooker but wonder if others have found success with other kits and $ value. I am suprised by how much more a 5 point costs vs. a 4 point. Kind of don't get it I guess.

Thanks

Thanks for the pics and help! What a great forum.... I will get a kit from Vans. Any words of wisdom on seat harness kits? I have heard a lot about Hooker but wonder if others have found success with other kits and $ value. I am suprised by how much more a 5 point costs vs. a 4 point. Kind of don't get it I guess.

Thanks

Crowe Enterprises for the 5 pt harnesses..

Just curious if a 3rd time riverter would be able to accomplish this in an already flying aircraft?

Back