What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

5 point harness

skydiverlv

Well Known Member
Those of you that are currently flying, I would like to know how many see the need to use all five points on the harness. I have seen a few that have removed the crotch strap. I am considering having Abbey not slot my seat cushions for the crotch strap but would like to hear from those of you already flying if you use yours. Thanks

Why would you want to remove the 5th point? It only takes an additional second or so to put on... It doesn't add any uncomfortable-ness to the seatbelt... It keeps the seatbelt properly positioned at your hips, instead of riding up into your stomach when the shoulder straps are tight... It provides a huge safety factor by preventing "submarine ejection" during a sudden stoppage...

There's just no downside to using the 5th point, and lots of upside to using it!

(OK, the only downside is if your passenger is wearing a dress... The 5th point just isn't going to work then!)

I Don't

I haven't used the crotch strap on mine. Of course, I have stubby legs and have to slouch a bit to go full travel on the rudder pedals which makes things real uncomfortable. I did install them though and they are there if I, or anyone else, ever want to use them. I just don't use it myself.

I second Dakota Hawks comment regarding the 5th point. A huge safety-factor!

I recommend you get your seats slotted for the 5th point and install the strap. Then you'll always have the choice wether to use it or not later on.

And....: if you passenger is wearing a skirt, it's a BIG bonus to have the 5th point installed.... ;) just be careful so you won't be distraced too much in your flying :D

I often hang upside down so its a definate need as far as I'm concerned.

My seat cushion is not slotted though..the strap goues through the slot where the stick goes.

The downside with that is the strap has to be used cus otherwise it could jam the control

Frank

You hang upside down in an RV-12! Wow! The crotch strap won't even be an option for me. For whatever reason, I cannot get it adjusted long enough to fit. I'm another of those inseam challenged low-riders and have to slouch to reach the pedals. The seating position in the RV-12 seems to favor long-legged people. I'll remove the crotch strap from the pilot seat and leave it in the passenger seat.

I am quite inseam challenged also, I added a hinge piece about two inches in front of the plans pair, more comfortable seating (leaning back a bit) and most of all I can reach the rudder pedals.

You hang upside down in an RV-12! Wow! The crotch strap won't even be an option for me. For whatever reason, I cannot get it adjusted long enough to fit. I'm another of those inseam challenged low-riders and have to slouch to reach the pedals. The seating position in the RV-12 seems to favor long-legged people. I'll remove the crotch strap from the pilot seat and leave it in the passenger seat.

I'd been considering the option of adding a third seatback hinge to get a little closer to those pedals. Also thought about adding a spacer near the top of the seatback where it lays up against the cross rail. That would maintain the seatback angle which, to me, already feels too reclined. Will probably have to wait until after final inspection and receipt of my E-LSA certificate.

I fully realize that I've wandered away from the original subject of this string. Sorry about that.

Turbulence

I love the security of the 5th strap, even though the plane isn't aerobatic.

A friend of mine ran into severe turbulence in an RV-6 last summer. He hit the canopy so hard it bent a substantial piece of metal leaving the canopy trailing edge 3 inches higher than it was. Of course it had to happen at the North Cape (top of Norway), 2000 miles from home base.

The 5th strap will reduce the possibility of damaging the canopy in turbulence.

Cheers...Keith

I don't fly my 12 upside down, but I believe that w/out using the crotch strap you drop the harness effective protection to a small fraction of it's total value.
Dick seiders

I'm not disagreeing with the role of the crotch strap in significantly increasing the effectiveness of the 5-point harness. My point is that, for some of us, the strap just doesn't reach. I've spent several evenings sitting in the pilot seat (in the work shop) adjusting all of the straps to get the crotch strap to reach the buckle. When I do finally get it to buckle, I'm singing soprano so high that the glass panel would crack if I weren't waiting for Skyview. I have no choice in the matter. It just doesn't fit.

RV 7a...:)

I recently attached a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" piece of alum. angle to the hinged piece on the back of the seat to see if it would move back forward. Worked great and only took a few minutes to attach. I turned bracket upside down before attaching bracket. Can now reach fuel cut-off. Recommend five point harness. Light wing loading in turbulence makes it a must.

Ron Russ RV12-Viking. 45 Hrs.

Brent: Its real simple but difficult to describe. I'll post a picture as soon as I get back from flying my RV12 Viking to Sebring. Ron Russ

I went ahead and had Abby leave the slots the cratch straps after responses.
Here is a picture of one of my seats. I purchased the entire interior kit and all options including Wonderlife fabric. Also had contour foam installed in the seats. Kudos to Abby for excellent workmanship and a pleasant experience.

2cffur7.jpg

Whats that you say??
Wires coming out the rear of the seat?
Yes, I had Abby install heated seat pads since I have sufficient alternator power.
Will definately feel welcome on my skinny rear on those cold mornigs.

2qwh2y8.jpg

Back