What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

45 or 90 - Which Do You Prefer?

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
This is probably a question for repeat offenders who have gone beyond the basics and bought a good angle drill.

Every year when I fill out my Christmas list, I know I'd like a good angle drill, but I get stopped when I try and decide between a 90 degree angle and a 45 degree angle - they are expensive enough that I can probably only justify one. I've used 90 degree attachment adapters, and they can be awkward enough at times that maybe the 45 would be better and fit most places.

So for those who have used both extensively in airplane construction - which do you prefer?

I have both in my box and the 90 gets used probably 10-1 more than the 45.

I feel the 45 is a "nice to have" while the 90 is a hard requirement.

Last edited:
90 is my choice.

I used to have a 45 degree Makita drill, found it hard to keep the bit aligned as I was drilling.

I used the 90 deg adapter for the first airplane. On the second I got the Pan American 90 deg drill and love it! I have not yet run into a situation where I felt I needed a 45.

310bM7-mVzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

45 or 90

Paul -

I have both and find that I trend toward the 45* whenever I can. Having said that, it's pretty hard not to find those "spots" which require the 90* unit once in a while.

Both of mine are Dotco's - a very high quality drill that has been around for a million years. Got them both off Ebay, gently used, for about thirty cents on the dollar - so I got both of them for about 2/3 the cost of a single new unit. For as little as we use them in relation to the big boys - even a used unit still has a lot of life left.

What I find almost as significant is the length of the stub bits that will be used. I have them all the way from short short (3/8") to longish (3"), and bit length in conjunction with head angle will make most locations accessable. There are lots of sellers on Ebay for new/resharpened bits that can be purchased for very reasonable prices - especially the QC bits and chucks we have discussed in the past.

Hope to see you on Saturday - good luck with the ribs.

David

To paraphrase Carnac the Magnificent...

"Pneumatic squeezer, 90-degree angle drill, and beer."

"What are three things that aren't absolutely required to build an RV, but make it way easier?"

mcb :)

90 deg ... with lots of different length screw in bits .. The Pan American is great value - and you can get different heads for it that are not to expensive ... OR buy second hand Dotco - Ingersol Rand or similar high quality industrial grade ...

Never had a need for 45 on my 6 'no hole' kit ..

45 or 90

I picked up a Desoutter 90 deg. drill while working in the UK 30 years ago. It has colletts for 3/32: 1/8th: and 3/16 in.
Two months ago I bought another 90 deg. Desoutter new from an estate sale for $30NZ.- not because to other was worn out but this allowed two different sizes to be available with out changing.
The very small head size compared to adapters that other use, makes this British product the best I have used.
The 90 degree type with a short drill makes the accurate drilling out of rivets very easy as you can roll the head to get a good centre, while supporting the drill body close to where you are drilling. These will do anything that a 45 and pistol models can do.
Look on UK Ebay for one- that's where they are made.

I have a 90 and use it every once in a while. I have never seen a 45 and did not know that one was available till you asked about it and I Googled it.

12213.jpg

Never used a 45. I like my 90 drill adapter though. I get to use it with the drill I like. 90 seems like a natural orientation to keep things squared up. Although, come to think of it, the 45 "may" be a bit better for the Horizontal stab SB if that's what you're thinkin.

Bevan

I have a Dotco 90, and love it It has saved me several times. With a short bit, you can get into really tight spots and get a perfect hole. Expensive, but worth it.

And...a 45 is a bit awkward. It's easier to drill out fasteners with a 90 as you can more easily see the correct angle. I've seen (and probably done so myself) people really booger up a hole with a 45.

Thanks for all the replies guys. This just goes to prove the old adage about wisdom coming from experience - and if you don't have your own experience, get the wisdom from someone else's experience! I could see the potential pluses and minuses to a 45, but having not played with one, just wanted to probe the collective. I'd love to have the modular system there Dan - maybe I'll have to write something about angle drills and then I can write it off....:)

Back