What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

45 degree oil filter adapter

stamper

Well Known Member
I just ordered my io-540 from aerosport and was wondering has anyone used the 45 degree oil filter adapter and if so are they glade you did or should I just stick with the straight out one. Also does anyone have any thoughts as to going with the cold air induction. Thanks.

I just ordered my io-540 from aerosport and was wondering has anyone used the 45 degree oil filter adapter and if so are they glade you did or should I just stick with the straight out one. Also does anyone have any thoughts as to going with the cold air induction. Thanks.

The answer is it depends.......

From the conversations I've had with other RV-10 builders, it still seems to be a trial and error to getting the proper spacers on the adapter. That's highly dependent on the accessories you install on the engine. For example, do you have a SD-20 back up alternator?

I decided to take a wait and see approach to pinch a few pennies in the build. The standard filter location doesn't appear to be any more difficult to remove than on my old Cherokee 180. If it's too much PITA, then I can always install it later.

People that have them, tend to like them.

I went with Rod Bower's RAM air mod. It's suppose to add about another inch of manifold pressure, so you have a choice of flying faster or using less fuel. I'm just getting ready for my first flight, so it's a little premature for me to comment on how it works.

Since you purchased an Aerosport, have you talked with Bart on is opinion on cold air induction? Is that an option they provide?

If you use the angled oil filter adapter from B&C you'll also need their 1.4" spacer (they have several sizes) to provide clearance from the engine mount.

Bob

Have Aerosport started offering the IO540 again? I got the second last before they stopped a couple of years ago because the cost of the parts made it uneconomic.

I think they are like everyone else, only overhauls at this point.

I really like the angled oil filter adapters that I have gotten on my engines from Mattituck (don't know what part they use, but Mahlon Russell should). The B&C unit is very nice. I have used it and like it. They will know what spacer you need for the -10, if any, with information on what other parts you have on the accessory case.

The filter straight out the back is a pain, but it works. There is a technique to changing the oil without spilling, but it can be done. It's easier with the angled adapter by punching a hole in the filter when hot and letting the oil drain out over a few hours. With the horizontal filter, a little compressed air gently blown in the hole can evacuate most of the oil, with a Walmart bag catching the rest as you spin it off.

If money is no object, then get it. If you are pinching pennies, skip it. If you are in between, maybe wait and see.

Back