What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

413PP rivet size

N814P

In riveting the 413PP elevator hinge bracket to the rear spar assembly, an AN470AD4-5 rivet size seems really long, there's a lot sticking out the back end. An AN470AD4-4 looks more like the right size. Am I missing something?

there is really no magic to the rivet call out, during the build you will find numerous situations where it is not ideal... go with a length that will produce an acceptable shop head and check it with a gauge as needed.

Thanks!

Thanks! I am hesitant to do anything against the plans - it's good to know that this may come up in the future as well.

thats a 1/8" rivet, correct?
then you take the one thats too long and cut it down to 3/16" of rivet sticking through the hole! your other rivet may be too short.
rule of thumb, 1.5 times the diameter of the rivet is how much of the "tail" of the rivet that sticks through. i am running into that alot on my 7 kit.
do you belong to an eaa chapter? if so see if they have a Tech Counselor, he can answer your questions and assist you throughout your build. if your eaa chapter doesn't have one, join one that does, its your life!

Confirmed with Vans as well..

.. They told me that I should use the correct size based on the 1.5 rule as indicated above as sometimes material thickness could vary and what's listed in the plans is based on the design specs. So - it looks like the first drill out of my kit will be because I followed the plans :D Oh well, I'm sure it wont be the last.

I haven't joined the local EAA chapter yet. I went to one of the Saturday morning pancake breakfasts but haven't pursued it further.

My plans for build assistance are 1. Check this site :) and confirm with Vans and 2. If I need personal assistance, check with the EAA chapter.

So far, the build has been pretty straight forward.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Back