What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

'406' mhz elt

Terry Wendling

I'm New Here
Getting close to ordering an ELT. Is everyone beginning to go the '406' route and if so, what is the cost? I finding prices in the $1000 range

i don't know about where you are, but in australia they are phasing out the old elts so you will have to use the 406mhz

I hope to be flying my -7A this year and I got a 406 for two reasons: (1) Its much more likely to help you if you go down than a 121.5; and (2) It didnt make sense to me to buy a 121.5 that will be of little value with respect to its intended purpose within two years (although it will apparently still suffice to meet the regulatory reqruirement of having one on board) . I did NOT get the version that will transmit your GPS coordinates because it was significantly more expensive - (a prior poster says $1,500 - I recall more but I could be wrong) but that is simply a personal choice.

regards

erich

Last edited:
elt

call Merl in CT. I know that they are about to release an inexpensive 406 elt sometime here soon. They really know what they are doing..... This is the BEST ELT company I've ever found.
Brian
Merl = 1-203-237-8811

elt's

well, i appear to be the odd man out. i am going to install the tso-c91a elt (121.5 MHz) simply because it meets the regulatory requirement. if i feel that i need the 406 MHz, there are (civilian, non-tso'd) devices called EPIRB's that do the same function for about half a kilobuck (aviation monetary unit, or amu). added benefit -- you can use the epirb on your boat, too. :)

john

ELT

Installing a $200.00 ACK ELT today. It's really all you need IMHO. The 406 will come someday...10-15-20 years from now.

Just to clear up: the 121.5 models will still work fine and as far as I know there's no plans to force 406 models. In Feb. 2009, satellite monitoring of 121.5 will end. That means if you go down, the only way to find you is for someone to fly over and happen to be listening. Currently, they can get you with the satellites....MUCH better response time like that.

Hopefully, someone will get the price down on the 406 models. There's no reason it has to cost $1500! Silly.

What you guys say is exactly the way I am seeing it. I cannot believe that the folks that sell the '121.5' elt are going to set idly by and not come up with something cheaper that they can sell as February 2009 gets closer.

"KiloBuck"

I love that term and will use it when approaching my wife with more "gotta haves". "Honey, I need to order the engine next week...the great news is that it only costs 24 KiloBucks!"

Thanks for the new terminology.
Don

End...?

jcoloccia said:
Just to clear up: the 121.5 models will still work fine and as far as I know there's no plans to force 406 models. In Feb. 2009, satellite monitoring of 121.5 will end.

Can you provide the reference you are quoting regarding a definite end to satellite montoring of 121.5 in Feb 2009 please? I would like to read this.

A couple months ago I called Ameri-King and asked, "Do you plan to introduce a 406MHz ELT that will be a drop in replacement for your AK-450 121.5MHz ELT?" Their answer was "Yes, we are working on it right now." So I bought the AK-450 (cheap in aviation terms) in order to get me flying without spending a fortune, and I will plan to upgrade to the new flavor when it's available.

mcb

Where are you getting 406 prices?

Chief Aircraft sells an Artex ME-406 ELT that puts out a signal on both 121.5 and 406.028 MHz. Cost with whip antenna $894.50.

PLB

No question 406 is a much better way to go than 121.5 but I just can't afford to do it especially knowing that the prices on 406 elt's will drop over the next couple of years. If you want the benefits of the 406mhz elt now but don't want to invest in it yet, go with the standard 121.5 elt and a PLB (personal locater beacon). It might even work better since you can activate it manually much easier.

When the SARSATs stop monitoring 121.5 in 2009 then I'll switch over.

406 Needed for new registrations in some locations

Hi,

Just as another point for some of the non-USA based builders, check your local regs - my reading of the NZ regs are that from 1 Jan 2007 any new registrations for 2 or more seats, powered aircraft must have 406 ELTs.

On this occasion it is easier to buy local as the country ids are setup correctly.

Reagrds,

Carl

Try ACK 406MHz ELT for $599

Getting close to ordering an ELT. Is everyone beginning to go the '406' route and if so, what is the cost? I finding prices in the $1000 range

Terry-- ACK has a very good 406MHz ELT that is finishing final certification for $599 that will have everything included: external swept antenna, mounting kit, cables, remote switch, etc. You can visit their website at http://www.ackavionics.com/. It supports GPS location input, too, that will pinpoint your crash position to within 300 feet and greatly reduce search and rescue time. ACK isn't accepting orders til certification paperwork is complete (actual testing has already been done), but I've backordered mine from Aircraft Spruce. Since I spent almost that much for my Hooker Harness set, an investment in a good ELT seems like a good safety choice as well. Good luck.

Last week I exchanged a number of emails with Greg Akatiff at ACK.

They are close to getting government approval but are delayed due to some personnel changes at the testing facility.

The testing is complete and the results have been very positive but until he gets the certification in hand he cannot sell the units.

He hopes that will be resolved shortly.

Same story, different month

I've heard the same story from ACK for the past 4 months. I wonder how long it will really take ??????:cool:

Back