What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

406 ELT

JulsPower

I'm New Here
Hi guys
I do have to buy a 406 elt soon enough
I do hesitate between the ack 406 and the artex 345
any feedback on any of them?
I heard the ack has some problem with false activation.

thank you

Why?

Carl
Ack has an “X” in the environmental qualification for radiated immunity (EMI), and oddly enough, have a reputation for activating randomly…. See attached

So, they either didn’t test that, or did and didn’t like results, so did not claim any compliance. So, the next time you taxi past a high power RF transmitter, or one taxi’s past you….

I have worked professionally with the senior technical folks at Artex, and they are top notch. I have a 345 in my plane.

Attachments

• B3A39167-34B9-4B41-A68B-4F5497A735CE.png
    B3A39167-34B9-4B41-A68B-4F5497A735CE.png
    967 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
I started out with the ACK and had so many false activations I started to get nervous just turning on my avionics. The last straw was when it activated while airborne inside the DC SFRA. I immediately removed it and replaced it with the Artex 345. Not a single problem since. Don't waste your money on that POS.

I replaced the AK with an ACK and wish I had sprung for the Artex. Wiring the ACK GPS connector is tricky, and testing whether the GPS signal is actually being sent never worked. Artex says they have a satellite confirmation system which provides critical data when you test your unit.
I carry a RescueMe PLB on my person during flight, and an older still functional McMurdo PLB in my flight bag, but neither will help if a crash takes me out. When it comes time to replace the ACK battery I may go with the Artex.

I have the ACK and no problems so far

I’ve been flying with the ACK over four years now in my RV-14 with no problems. Had to replace the battery at my condition inspection last Fall, as I lost a year before first flight. But no problems so far.

Interesting. I’ve been running the ACK 406 ELT in three builds for over a decade. Never had a false activation (other than a pilot accidentally pushing the button - but it worked as advertised).

I agree wiring the provided connector is a real PITA, but I was able to verify serial signal like the install manual says.

The ACK list price is $744, the ARTEX is $875. $130 is not going to break the bank so I’ll consider the ARTEX for this last build.

Carl

Add me to the ACK POS list! I have had enough false activation that I keep AFRCC in my favorites contacts just in case. It probably happens once every 2 months. Almost always on turning master off so I'm guess electrical interference.
Luckily most of the time I catch it within about 3 seconds and they never get a signal.

ACK

Add me to the ACK POS list! I have had enough false activation that I keep AFRCC in my favorites contacts just in case. It probably happens once every 2 months. Almost always on turning master off so I'm guess electrical interference.
Luckily most of the time I catch it within about 3 seconds and they never get a signal.

Great. I haven't even installed mine yet.

Great. I haven't even installed mine yet.

Save yourself the frustration. Pick up the Artex. Easier installation, more reliable, better design. No comparison at all. I'm vocal about this every time the topic comes up because my experience with the ACK was so terrible.

ELT

Save yourself the frustration. Pick up the Artex. Easier installation, more reliable, better design. No comparison at all. I'm vocal about this every time the topic comes up because my experience with the ACK was so terrible.

I will check with Advanced since mine plugs into the ACM and I already mounted the annunciator in the panel. I may just use it and make this round two when there's some money saved up. No one will buy the ACK so I might as well get some use out of it.

I will jump in as well with ACK being POS.

After several false in-air activations, mine is now wrapped in tin-foil.....if I do not have any false activations in a year I will claim success....?

My ACK has been okay, and I know it works.... the paint shop found a way to arrange a call to my phone from a very nice Airman.

I'm using the Artex for the new plane. No ship power, convenient buzzer.

I still don't know if the unit will fit on the aft deck of the RV8 under the VS. I'd love to put it there like it is on the 14.

I will check with Advanced since mine plugs into the ACM and I already mounted the annunciator in the panel. I may just use it and make this round two when there's some money saved up. No one will buy the ACK so I might as well get some use out of it.

I would just use is but when the 5-yr battery replacement is due (almost $300) then go Artex. That’s my plan.

Same

My ACK has been awful.

If you think about it, it really does have the perfect name:

“Ack! My ELT is going off for no reason!”
“Ack! Why is the Air Force calling me?”

Etc.

Artex 345 all the way

ACR the comps for Artex has a $40 subscription in order to test the install of your antenna location. It will verify if the satellite is getting the signal and email and text you within 30 seconds of performing the test.

FYI. Antenna location can affect power output of the antenna, also known as SWR. See post below the reason why I wanted to protect my antenna. The first 406 signal is sent 50-60 seconds AFTER the unit is triggered.

See post #3. https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=215374

Last edited:
Back