What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

406 Beacon

Bart

Well Known Member
I know I should know this, but can somebody tell me if any emergency beacon (ELT) is still going to be required after Feb? Any beacon 121.5 or 406?

I know the USG is pushing for 406 beacons vice the soon to be unmonitored 121.5 (Feb 2009) so are there 406 beacons out there that are cheap and easy to install in the RV-10?

Also where have folks installed these gems in the aircraft? Lot's of questions seem to be arising out of something I thought I had a good handle on.

Last edited:
Bart,

Do a quick search and you will find more than you want to know.

The short answer is, Yes you will still need an ELT. In the US you can still use the old 121.5 ELT's but most other countries require 406MZ ELT's, including Canada and Mexico. Although there is some thought that they may push back the requirement.

I was under the impression that 406 would be a requirement for all new airworthyness certificates issued after 2/1/09. Search around and you will find that they have come down in price and can be had for under $800. No matter what, I would not put in the old 121.5,,,,it is not monitored after 2/09 and if I need it, I want to be found.

121.5 WILL continue to be monitored by some people.

I was under the impression that 406 would be a requirement for all new airworthyness certificates issued after 2/1/09. Search around and you will find that they have come down in price and can be had for under $800. No matter what, I would not put in the old 121.5,,,,it is not monitored after 2/09 and if I need it, I want to be found.
121.5 will not be monitored by satellite after 2/09!
Most airliners and military will continue to monitor 121.5/243.

I was under the impression that 406 would be a requirement for all new airworthyness certificates issued after 2/1/09.

So far, there is no requirement from the FAA to upgrade to 406, or to install 406 ELTs in new installations. I would expect to see that change in the very near future.

While Mel's point about 121.5 being monitored by airliners and military aircraft, there's another larger point that is very germane to this discussion...

An overflying airliner hears your 121.5 ELT and calls it into the rescue coordination center via whatever flight service station he's using. This results in an initial search area of about 250-300nm radius. Do the math and you'll find this wonderful ELT report has resulted in a rather huge search area. Yes, we're now looking for a needle in a haystack.

By contrast, when a 406MHz ELT is detected by satellite it produces an entirely different result. First detection is via the geostationary satellites (GEOSAR) which doesn't get position information but does get the unique ID programmed into the ELT. So we now know exactly who's ELT is transmitting, and this kicks off a communications search. Often this is as far as things go because the ELT owner is reached on his cell phone and he replies that he's sitting in his hangar and has just messed with the ELT and set it off. End of search, end of false alarm.

If things go to the next stage, in a few minutes a low-earth-orbit satellite will pass overhead in its regular orbit and by using doppler technique it will provide a position estimate on the transmitting ELT. That position estimate is typically 3nm radius or better. That's quite a bit better than the position estimate from the 121.5 ELT heard by the friendly airliner pilot.

Now ask yourself... If you were injured, moderately incapacitated and the OAT was dropping quickly, which would you rather your rescuers were dealing with - a 300nm radius search area or a 3nm radius search area?

I know what my answer is, and that's why I've been 406-equipped for over a year.

While Mel's point about 121.5 being monitored by airliners and military aircraft, there's another larger point that is very germane to this discussion...

An overflying airliner hears your 121.5 ELT and calls it into the rescue coordination center via whatever flight service station he's using. This results in an initial search area of about 250-300nm radius. Do the math and you'll find this wonderful ELT report has resulted in a rather huge search area. Yes, we're now looking for a needle in a haystack.

By contrast, when a 406MHz ELT is detected by satellite it produces an entirely different result. First detection is via the geostationary satellites (GEOSAR) which doesn't get position information but does get the unique ID programmed into the ELT. So we now know exactly who's ELT is transmitting, and this kicks off a communications search. Often this is as far as things go because the ELT owner is reached on his cell phone and he replies that he's sitting in his hangar and has just messed with the ELT and set it off. End of search, end of false alarm.

If things go to the next stage, in a few minutes a low-earth-orbit satellite will pass overhead in its regular orbit and by using doppler technique it will provide a position estimate on the transmitting ELT. That position estimate is typically 3nm radius or better. That's quite a bit better than the position estimate from the 121.5 ELT heard by the friendly airliner pilot.

Now ask yourself... If you were injured, moderately incapacitated and the OAT was dropping quickly, which would you rather your rescuers were dealing with - a 300nm radius search area or a 3nm radius search area?

I know what my answer is, and that's why I've been 406-equipped for over a year.

Is the KANNAD 406 PLB legal in Canada?

I never intended for my post to defend not upgrading to 406. My post was in answer to the post which stated that 121.5 would not be monitored at all after February.

No! no PLB's are not legal for the replacement of an ELT mounted in the aircraft with auto activation in Canada.

One concern is annual inspection if you are installing a 406 ELT. I believe you are required to test your ELT at annual inspection. The 121.5 can be tested by tuning com and verifying transmission. How you going to test the 406 and verify? If you get a combo 406/121.5 (and many are) you can test for the 121.5 signal, hope the 406 is okay, and still be legal. When/if the 406 becomes mandatory, us homebuilders may have to take it to a shop to have the 406 tested, the test equipment for 406 is too pricey to buy alone. Hey when that happens, you might be able to make some money at flyins if you were to buy the equipment, you could offer "rental" of tester for 15 minutes to verify 406.

One concern is annual inspection if you are installing a 406 ELT. I believe you are required to test your ELT at annual inspection. The 121.5 can be tested by tuning com and verifying transmission. How you going to test the 406 and verify? If you get a combo 406/121.5 (and many are) you can test for the 121.5 signal, hope the 406 is okay, and still be legal. When/if the 406 becomes mandatory, us homebuilders may have to take it to a shop to have the 406 tested, the test equipment for 406 is too pricey to buy alone. Hey when that happens, you might be able to make some money at flyins if you were to buy the equipment, you could offer "rental" of tester for 15 minutes to verify 406.

406 ELTs are tested the same way. They transmit on 406 and 121.5 (and most on 243 also). Just tune in your handheld like you always have.

406 beacon

From what I've read, the ELT re-test is done in a test cell ( lead-lined rocket bunker?) to measure signal duration, fade, and some other bunch of parameters that it had to meet to be TSO'd in the first place!
Hey, everyone wants to know it will work, but this is paramount to re-certifying the hardware and 'software' evry 2 years!
I'm sure half the shops aren't even equipped to do this....but it's okay to fly without it for 30 days while you ship it across the country to have it re-certified.
absolute lunacy.

From what I understand the 406 uses a digital data burst, short duration, and a 3000 dollar test instrument to verify. Just cuz you hear the 121.5 doesn't mean you are transmitting a correct 406 signal, but it is a good sign. The same goes for the LED idiot light, you know you have power to the unit or at least to the LED. I'm sure a log entry that you can see the LED light so the unit must be functioning correctly won't cut it with the FAA. As of now however, all you have to do is test the 121.5 and you are legal. I won't fly now without a 406 PLB and when my RV-10 is done it'll have the 406 with GPS. Hopefully the price will be down to $500 or less and I'll make friends with someone who has the test equipment!

I think you are making a poor assumption about...

From what I understand the 406 uses a digital data burst, short duration, and a 3000 dollar test instrument to verify. Just cuz you hear the 121.5 doesn't mean you are transmitting a correct 406 signal, but it is a good sign. The same goes for the LED idiot light, you know you have power to the unit or at least to the LED. I'm sure a log entry that you can see the LED light so the unit must be functioning correctly won't cut it with the FAA. As of now however, all you have to do is test the 121.5 and you are legal. I won't fly now without a 406 PLB and when my RV-10 is done it'll have the 406 with GPS. Hopefully the price will be down to $500 or less and I'll make friends with someone who has the test equipment!

...the "idiot" light.

Since these new units are digital, the LED is really a "self test" indicator, activated after a major electronic internal check, and that is what my PLB instruction manual calls it....:)

What cuts it with the FAA is what the manufacturers Operation Manual - which is TSO approved...:)

A typical one is here...

http://www.artex.net/documents/getFile.php?fileid=314&filename=570-1600_Manual.pdf

1.6.3 Self Test mode
Upon turn-off, the ELT automatically enters a self-test mode that transmits a 406 MHz test coded transmission that monitors certain system functions before returning to the ?ARM? mode. The transmission is ignored by any satellite that receives this signal, but the ELT requires it to check output power and correct frequency. If the ELT is left activated for approximately 50 seconds or greater, a distress signal is generated that is accepted by the satellites.

Remember, if in doubt RTM

Note, that the Canadian, eh requirements are different, but you referenced the FAA.

Self Test update info....

In reference to my posting above, I discovered the specifications for a COSPAS-SARSAT beacon.

The section on self test is on page 23 of this document, and states that the self test mode should actually transmit a 406 signal, with a test-only code, so no active alert is created.

http://www.cospas-sarsat.org/DocumentsTSeries/T1OCT30.08_CompleteDoc.pdf

The self test light really is an end-to-end test as I surmised above - except for the G-force activation device.

Back