What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4" yoke vs 3" yoke...

CMBAero

Hey guys,

So I was getting ready to pass an order on ATS for some missing tools and this included a longer yoke for my squeezer... well I needed deep reach and now I can't decide between 3" and 4"...my guess is take the 4" because for ~10$ more it can go deeper and you can use it at the same spot that requires a 3"... so my question is, why would someone buy both or decide between those two!?

3"
https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=ATSRS-3SDY

4"
https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?PRODUCT_ID=ATSRS-4SDY

Thanks

Sometimes, you might need at least a 3" yoke, while the 4" just won't fit into the space.......because of other structure. It's why I had both.

I have a 3" with hole, a 4" no hole, and a longeron yoke. You will need all of these at some point in the build, so go ahead and buy them. There are also a few times in the build where a 2" yoke would be nice to have (but not essential like the others listed). If you are worried about spending a couple of hundred bucks at this point, then just wait until you are buying avionics and an engine! You can always sell the yokes later to someone else. Buy them all now and you will thank me later.

I have a 3" with hole, a 4" no hole, and a longeron yoke. You will need all of these at some point in the build, so go ahead and buy them. There are also a few times in the build where a 2" yoke would be nice to have (but not essential like the others listed). If you are worried about spending a couple of hundred bucks at this point, then just wait until you are buying avionics and an engine! You can always sell the yokes later to someone else. Buy them all now and you will thank me later.

I agree and did the same as Bruce.

Hey Bruce,

I know exactly what you mean and I feel the same way about buying it all, but the problem is I started the build while I am still in school to finish my A&P, so I have to fit the expenses for tools in my budget since I don't have a stable revenue for now, so I can't just go and buy all of it now until I'm done with school in may.... need money for other crucial tools, like bucking gun and DRDT...

With that being said, that's why I was asking which one is more important for empennage...

As for the 4" no hole, ATS doesn't make one for the Stainless Heavy Duty Squeezer...? :S

only a 4" hole, 3" hole, Narrow Yoke no hole, Longeron yoke with hoke....

Last edited:
The 4" yoke deflects too much often resulting in canted rivets, especially 1/8. Always use the stiffest yoke - like the 1 1/2" - that provides the needed grip. 3" is marginal. There are so few places that are beyond a 3" but accessible with a 4" before you must reach for the gun it's rather a waste of money. Look beyond the emp for your dollars. Longeron and no-hole yokes have many uses throughout the build.

John Siebold

Last edited:
In order of usefulness (my opinion) Longeron yoke, 3", then 4". I understand about the budgetary needs. I too at one time was hoping to do this build on the cheap, but at some point you realize that you will need the 50 to 75 grand to get this airplane completed. If the tool budget is tight now, you will never get past the empennage kit. Van's makes it easy to get a hit off the old crack pipe with the tail kit being fairly cheap. In the big scheme of things, the cost of tools is insignificant, and you will later wish you had just bought them all up front.

In order of usefulness (my opinion) Longeron yoke, 3", then 4". I understand about the budgetary needs. I too at one time was hoping to do this build on the cheap, but at some point you realize that you will need the 50 to 75 grand to get this airplane completed. If the tool budget is tight now, you will never get past the empennage kit. Van's makes it easy to get a hit off the old crack pipe with the tail kit being fairly cheap. In the big scheme of things, the cost of tools is insignificant, and you will later wish you had just bought them all up front.

I see, you got it all wrong thought... I am not trying to make this build on the cheap side and will put a lot more money into it but as of now until the end of may(end of school), I don't have a lot of money coming in so I have to buy only what I need to complete the empennage as the rest will be bought later on as soon as I finish school!

Don't worry about me not getting past the empennage kit, I will finish this airplane for sure, and it's actually the ~4 airplane I am building... was working for a aircraft company before so I had all the tools at my disposition in their shop....

It's just that for now, I wish I could buy them all up front but the school budget ties me to only buy what I need for what I am doing now...

Thanks for your recommendation on the yoke thought! ;)

Last edited:
Back