What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4 tanks on a -10??

RV404

I'm New Here
Was cruising the internet late last night and ran across a few
120 Gallon fuel RV-10's
Anyone seen theses>??

looks like they were made by a fella named John Nys.

Sounds like a simple enough Mod, although I am sure you wouldn't need that much gas very often.

The red TruTrak company airplane has 4 tanks. 2nd set are simply outboard of the normal tanks on the leading edge.

We've got 4 tanks, but "only" 90 gallons. There is a noticeable difference in flying with all 4 full. IMHO 90 is a perfect number, 120gallons would be easier to build for sure... But talk about heavy.

Talked to Vans about it

Vans comment was, "the wing was never designed for that weight and we will not help you."

Can you do it? sure. Is it smart? Not so sure.

I chose not to do it after much thought.

We've got 4 tanks, but "only" 90 gallons. There is a noticeable difference in flying with all 4 full. IMHO 90 is a perfect number, 120gallons would be easier to build for sure... But talk about heavy.

I am very interested about your building pictures. Do you have a web site for me to take a look at?

Consider....

....having an aero engineer look at the wing and particularly the spar. Since it tapers toward the tip, it's structurally weaker than the inboard end that is designed for the fuel weight and it also has support from the leading edge bracket on all the models that I'm aware of.

The twisting force so far out worries me, since the spar is thinner and the skins have to take the load.....rough air and full outboard tanks....worry me.

Regards,

Back