What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3x Rivet gun fluttering

klh1507

I'm New Here
Today, while attempting to set 6 rivets, after the 4th, the rivet gun began "fluttering", namely, after letting go of the trigger the gun keeps running but weakly. Only way to stop it is to remove the air supply.

It is oiled per instructions and it has been running fine for 5 years. No indications of impending doom until this.

Checked the internet for fixes and I found nothing. Anyone know how to fix this or am I buying another tool for my project?

I found that if my tank regulator pressure (not the regulator at the gun) was to low mine would do the same. My current setup is around 40-50 psi (low side for #40 and higher for #30 rivets) and then adjust the restrictor at the gun to fine tune.
Your gun could have also got a piece of trash stuck in one of the small air passageways in the internals. They’re not that difficult to take down, clean up, rebuild.

Depending on the degree and persistence, the "fluttering" may interfere with "nesting" of the parts to be joined and require initial driving of the rivet to swell the shank sufficient to develop some friction, then draw the parts together before completing forming of the shop head.

If the flutter is significant, it's better to disassemble and clean.

Mine did that and eventually I returned it to the factory. As I recall they replaced an O-ring or a seal.

Mine did that and eventually I returned it to the factory. As I recall they replaced an O-ring or a seal.

Exactly... depending on the quality of your gun, it can be disassembled fairly easily and then just replace the o-rings, which are generally standard sizes. I recommend using mil-spec o-rings for the closer tolerances, but Ace hardware o-rings should work fine as well.

Likely the trigger….

I just fixed the exact same issue on mine. It was simple. Disassembled the trigger, replaced the o-ring, and reassembled the trigger. Took 5 min. No more issues.

fixed it

Removed the valve stem then cleaned and oiled everything in reach, blew some air through it and now it works. Didn't really see any gunk but maybe it was blown out. Thanks everyone for chipping in.

Back