What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

3M Tape

Reddsky1

Can anyone show a link to the 3M Tape method for riveting the trailing edge of rudders and aileron? Or provide details as to the process.

Thanks,
Terry.

I used the 3m method and it work out nicely. I placed the exposed adhesive down on the bottom skin edge and rubbed it well to make sure I had good adherence. Then, very slowly, removed the paper to expose the other side of the adhesive. Pay attention as you remove the top paper layer to insure the thin lay of adhesion material stays in place and if you see some material pulling with the paper, just rub it back down using the paper strip and slowly pull from a different angle. I had the top skin on and just added clecos a few holes apart as I went. Once done, check the edge to insure its straight, ad clecos to every hole and then press down on the edges to ensure a good bond. Check for a straight edge again and then remove the clecos to back rivet. Start from center out, working both sides and dont fully set the rivets until all are in place, this way you can check and correct to insure a straight edge. Then final set the rivets center out working both sides, check the edge as you go.

I have some pictures somewhere on my log. But as stated above I did the same thing. Only difference is I had to use a heat gun at times to pull the top backing paper off.

Back