What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

34-06 Step 2

Gandalf

Well Known Member
First, I tried to search 34-06 and received a message that my search word was too short oh well.

RV12 I am trying to fit the canopy in step 2 34-06 and the canopy appears to be a tiny bit too large. My assumption is that I just sand the sides and leading edge with 80 grit sand paper until the tolerances in AA BB and CC are met. Is that what I should do?

Also, the leading edge of the canopy drops below the level of the "cowling." Is this acceptable?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
I'm doing an 12iS (Canopy done) but the process seems to the the same.

If you look on page 34-05 you should have done this fitting already. Page 34-05 step 2 directs you to position the canopy per the dimensions in sections AA, BB and CC. The only dimensions in those are: forward edge to upper forward fuselage skin 1/8 inch (no tolerance) and a max of 1/4 inch between the sides and the square tube. The 1/8 nominal dimension on the sides tells you where it should be in a perfect world, so position as close as possible, but the 1/4 max is the controlling dimension.

At this point the rear of the canopy will be sitting up on the latch tube and the front sides may be bulging outward because the forward outboard corners have not been trimmed.
You mark, remove and trim/drill the corners and latch hole, then in step 3 re-position according to the same dimensions. At this point the rear of the canopy should just clear the edge of the rear window. If not - adjust with sandpaper as instructed.
(Note that the rear window is called the 1277B not the 1277A in section 38 which I assume you have already completed. The 12iS drawing does call it out as 1277B)

Then "tape mark" the canopy to frame bow contact line. and drill the holes as called out in 34-06 step 1.
The step you asked about - 34-06 step 2 then has you re-position the canopy the 3rd time according to the same dimensions in the figures on page 05. Then drill for real, checking the position often as you proceed.

I'm doing an 12iS (Canopy done) but the process seems to the the same.

If you look on page 34-05 you should have done this fitting already. Page 34-05 step 2 directs you to position the canopy per the dimensions in sections AA, BB and CC. The only dimensions in those are: forward edge to upper forward fuselage skin 1/8 inch (no tolerance) and a max of 1/4 inch between the sides and the square tube. The 1/8 nominal dimension on the sides tells you where it should be in a perfect world, so position as close as possible, but the 1/4 max is the controlling dimension.

At this point the rear of the canopy will be sitting up on the latch tube and the front sides may be bulging outward because the forward outboard corners have not been trimmed.
You mark, remove and trim/drill the corners and latch hole, then in step 3 re-position according to the same dimensions. At this point the rear of the canopy should just clear the edge of the rear window. If not - adjust with sandpaper as instructed.
(Note that the rear window is called the 1277B not the 1277A in section 38 which I assume you have already completed. The 12iS drawing does call it out as 1277B)

Then "tape mark" the canopy to frame bow contact line. and drill the holes as called out in 34-06 step 1.
The step you asked about - 34-06 step 2 then has you re-position the canopy the 3rd time according to the same dimensions in the figures on page 05. Then drill for real, checking the position often as you proceed.
Thanks for replying. I thought the canopy fit was OK, but after installing the rear window with clecoes there is not enough clearance front and sides. My canopy came with a pre drilled hole for the latch and pre finished forward corners. I will go back and sand to fit. It looks like the front of the canopy will need fiberglass layup to match the "cowling."

Back