What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

331RV almost ready for first flight! And Tons of Pics:)

ErichKeane

Well Known Member
Hi all, 331 RV got W&B (post paint!) yesterday night, in anticipation of a DAR stopping by Saturday and potential first flight! We're all painted and are down to a few final tasks!
-Reinstall wings after wing-seals
-Install data plate
-get N-Number on dash
-finish installing baggage area interior.

Pictures of most of the process here (should be public despite being on facebook): http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2049493&id=41900414&l=1b47966930
Someone else took a bunch of build pics, which I posted in a different album here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069465&id=41900414&l=29572c5b55

Anyway, we did W&B, and got 768 (a little chubby due to a bunch of interior options, and heavy paint!), but our CG was 97.12 or so. Does that sound right?

I'd seen that, but that includes a person, right? I was just wondering what others got for CG, and was wondering if this was close.

I'd seen that, but that includes a person, right? I was just wondering what others got for CG, and was wondering if this was close.

Erich,
The initial W&B is calculated empty and it should be within the limits. My empty weight CG is 81.76. And CG has to stay within the limits to fly. One person, baggage, fuel, two persons, etc. You have to run the W&B for every scenerio and the CG has to be within the limits to fly.
For example: In my plane with me solo, 50 lbs of baggage and full fuel the CG is at 85.57 slightly tail heavy outside the limits, therefor I would move some baggage to the passenger seat. With me and a 190 lb. passenger plus full fuel and 50 pounds of baggage, the gross weight is 1288 (OK) and the CG is 83.91at takeoff (also OK). If I land with a near empty tank the CG is 82.07 at that time (again OK). A computer spreadsheet makes the calculations fast and easy and keeps you safe :).
There are previous threads in the 12 forum on weight & balance here. Included there, is a link to a good Excel spreadsheet all set up for the RV-12. Plug your numbers in there and I'll bet your CGs are just fine within the limits.

Tony

Last edited:
Pic of Erich's plane...

We screwed up the math :) We added 70 to the nose wheel rather than subtract. The real number was 81.5 or so.

"or so"? :rolleyes: Sorry, but will your DAR accept that explanation for airworthiness? :eek:

Erich's plane...typical Oregon weather this spring.
1236415989_wVBxN-L.jpg

I Like!

Tony

"or so"? :rolleyes: Sorry, but will your DAR accept that explanation for airworthiness? :eek:

Erich's plane...typical Oregon weather this spring.
1236415989_wVBxN-L.jpg

I Like!

Tony

Thanks! We are getting soaked lately, but we have nice weather today... First flight is tomorrow assuming the DAR accepts :)

PS: I was doing the CG from memory, I didn't have the sheet with me. We have the actual numbers on the paperwork.

We screwed up the math :) We added 70 to the nose wheel rather than subtract. The real number was 81.5 or so.

We did the exact same thing on our RV 12 Wt and Bal.
Once we subtracted instead of added our numbers came up right! Whew!
748 lbs. includes all options except #2 Dynon and paint.
Airworthiness Certificate obtained today.
Fly tomorrow!:D

Back