What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

32-10 Shim

jsenft

Well Known Member
Is the .125 shims included in the kit? I can't find the shims. If not, what did people use for shims?

Jsenft - Just checked my plans page 32-10 and the only spacer or shim I see used on that page is a .063 and not .125 as you inquired about.

I'm guessing it is the shim in bag 2798-2 listed as U-1210B spacer ... looks like the correct dimensions judging by the drawing.

For what it is worth, the piano hinge material is also .063 you could just use a strip of that to obtain the .063 inch spacing called for in the drawing.

Happy building,

Step 1 of revision dated 8/12/13 has you drop the flaperons by .128
I think I am going to use a 1/8 AL strap I picked up from Vans.

Does anybody know what the purpose of this plans change is? Why do the flaperons need to be drooped before drilling the torque arms?

Last edited:
Scott??

Why do the flaperons need to be drooped before drilling the torque arms?

My guess (and that is exactly what it is) would be both flaperons most likely flex upward once a dynamic load is placed on the flaperons and associated connecting control hardware. Suppose drilling both flaperon torque arms with the .125 shims placing both flaperons slightly downward adds enough compensation so the flaperons are at a neutral position under dynamic load.

Of course, the revision description accompanying section 32-10?s drawing revision does not say why there is a change. I?m not too far away from this step so it would be nice to know if it should be done.

Perhaps Scott will chime in and let us know. Scott, for those of us who have not drilled the flaperon torque tubs yet, should we follow the updated drawing and use the .125 shims or was there a change to the control hardware that necessitates this change only for newer kits?

Back